Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Turn checkraise - HG 30-60 - too transparent?

30-60 game at Hawaiian Gardens. Villian is the Button.

I have black AKo in LP and openraise. CO, Villian, and one of the blinds cold calls. I know going in that the Villian is a TAG that I'd rather have seen fold, but so be it.

Flop Q-T-x, 2 hearts (Queen is a heart). Checked to Villian who bets, only I call.

Turn is the 7 of hearts. I check, Villian bets, in a way that makes me think he does not want me to call. I raise in tempo.

Does a good player know that I am not playing a made hand this way? More importantly, if the river is a non-heart blank, do I check or bet?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Turn checkraise - HG 30-60 - too transparent?

totally read dependent. c'mon. right?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:36 AM

You are out of position, how would you play a made hand here, call, bet the river? If I had a made hand, I would chk/rz and then lead out on the river. I'm no expert, but that is how I would play it. It sounds like you have 10 outs to the river (all but 3 are dirty) and a whole lot of fold equity; raise.

CSC
Old 02-10-2005, 08:41 AM

I really like the CR turn line against only one other TAG, but I've lately found myself getting stuck figuring the same bet/no bet river situation. I would bet if its a heart especially, assuming that your read was correct about him not wanting a call.

-Durka Durka
Old 02-10-2005, 03:39 PM

After check-raising the turn, I would argue that you have to bet the river when a blank OR A HEART hits. Against a tough player, I may even be rooting for a heart. I say this because a good player without a heart will lay down pretty strong hands against a 4-flush board and an opponent they think they have a handle on. Another argument for firing on the river: many players will be inclined to call your turn check-raise so as not to look like a guy you can make plays at and who will fold for one more bet (I find this to be especially true in live games).

Synopsis: I wouldn't check-raise the turn if I wasn't planning to bet a blank or a heart on the river.

Just my 2c - Jags
Old 02-10-2005, 04:30 PM

Hi Jags -

The way the hand had played to that point, I considered a 4th heart as a potential bluff-out, especially since a Q in his hand could not be a heart, and would certainly bet it. My river question was what to do with a "non-heart blank". You answered that as well - one vote for "bet".

The issue I was more concerned with was how my line looked to my opponent. Does my raise smell fishy?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:57 PM

After raising pf would you really check the flop with big hand? It smells a little fishy to me.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:37 AM

hi ry

you need to be very aware that a Q high flop is not good for AK; hgowever, you have an inside draw to go with your overs....hmmm.

sometimes ry, when holding a decent hand like AK heads-up, you can become overly optimistic about what your opponent may be affecting through the fickley medium of tell. oftentimes, when an opponent makes an idiosynchronistic jester involving possibly a familial or hereditary based quickening of muscle reflex acquired over time as a response mechanism indicating either weakness or great strength, when our hand is reasonable but the board is helter skeltish, it is paramount that we do not allow whimsy to take the place of prudence as we evaluate our situation.

you say you 'raised in tempo'. this is curious. you see 'tempo' often means 'with the same underlying betting intonation'. did your opponent likewise think, therefore, that you didn't want him to call? if, on the other hand, it was a bona fide rythmetic bet, i don't know what that might lead to. tempo betting requires further study before i can list its merits and minuses. but i hear you ry.

'does a good player...?'. well, you have obviously hooked into a good player. no, he doesn't believe you. you will never fold this sort.

the flop call is fine, ry. against this particular opponent, however, i think a fold on the turn is wisest. oh, did you win? well, yes ry, i do think you won. usually though, against this type opponent on that particular board, you will need to improve. you have the correct odds to do so on the flop, but you aren't getting correct odds on the turn, although it's close. you could call the turn, but unless you are very sure that your opponent really doesn't want you to call his bet, and equally sure that your opinion is not being unduly influenced by the sanguinuity of your hand, you shoulkd probably abstain from raising the turn, and between raising and folding, the latter is the better; there is still room for raising, though, but you must be very sure before doing it. heads-up, if the fourth heart falls and he checks, you'll have to bet after raising the turn. if a blank falls, then you should check it down. i still recommend a fold on the turn.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 AM

Default position

hi ry

first, last,.....it's pretty much the same.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: position

need to bet the river unless its a heart that improves your hand. the problem with checkraising on a 3flush board is that villain will call drawing to a heart with the intention of folding on the river a good amount of time, forcing you to follow through on your bluff.