Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 03:34 AM

Default 8-2s hand... interesting decisions...

Game is 15/30 live and is my normal game... it is very tight tonight with very few weak seats as the weather has kept many players away tonight...

Hero is BB with 8-2s...
Preflop...

UTG+1 and UTG+2 limp in... and then player in MP2 raises...
C/O cold calls and SB comes along... I decide to play with 8-2s knowing it will be 6 way action...

Game is very tight right now and I am struggling to get action so I decided that maybe I could get some value if I get to table a winner like 8-2.

6 players to the flop for 2 bets... flop comes down K-3-2 rainbow with one spade... I check and see what develops... preflop raiser bets and C/O comes along... I call and we lose the rest of the players...

Turn is another 3 basically counterfeiting my 2 pair draw and now I am disgusted and want to get away from hand... Bettor bets again and now I am only one in the pot... and there are 8.5 BB in the pot to me and I am going to have to call all the way or fold now... there is no calling the turn and folding the river...

It is the first evening I have played with the bettor and he seems to be fairly unimaginative and somewhat weak-passive so 2 thoughts entered my mind... first is if he has no pair and does not connect on the river will he still bet and also if he has q-q or j-j will he still bet the river...

I couldn't decide whether to call or not... but decided to call and would probably fold if an a-q-j come on end... but otherwise calling any bet expecting to lose...

River is an 7 or 9 can't remember... I check and he bets... I reluctantly call and he shakes his head and shows a-q and my 2 pair 2's and 3's is good...

I have some problems with every street I think... would appreciate any thoughts on the play of hand... seemed to me... i maybe could of taken it on turn... but who knows...
Old 02-10-2005, 03:46 AM

Default Re: 8-2s hand... interesting decisions...

preflop is bad for obvious reasons

The only play here is to checkraise the turn and get him either to fold a better hand (TT- QQ), or fold a hand that has 9 outs against you.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:53 AM

fold this preflop. its a tight game which would indicate that the players are playing well postflop. your hand blows.

i think checkraising the turn is silly. call down if you think your hand will stand up often enough. otherwise you may end up having to pay 3 bets after you check-call the river to see a showdown.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:07 AM

I think we all face decisions like this every night. I'm glad that you decided to post it. I think your own analysis of your own hand is very good. Personally, I fold PF and call the flop grudgingly knowing I'll make Sklansky bucks while losing real dollars. But this is interesting because everyone else folded to you on the turn. Because he is PF raiser, bet,bet,bet is a standard line for ANY holding - you know NOTHING about his hand except that it probably contains high cards. Given the cards on the board, you are worried about a king or a higher PP. The question is do we pay $60 for the chance at a $240 pot with bottom pair? I say yes. But if we are going to pay $60 anyway, why not raise the turn? We are afraid of the board pairing kings which will counterfeit your pair and leave you with 8 high - that is 3 outs and we are afraid of him pairing, another 6 outs. If he has you beat, he will call or raise. If he doesn't, he will likely fold. It is also possible that you scare him off of his low pockets. I raise here and check/fold the river.... unless it is a low river - I'd check/call that.

CSC