Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Party $2/$4------99 hits straight

Questions:
(1) Pre-flop re-raising OK?
(2) Flop call (not capping) OK?
(3) Could I have extracted more money from villain with different play on the turn?

Typically loose Party $2/$4 limit Bad Beat Jackpot table

Hero is UTG+2 with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, Hero re-raises, 3 folds, CO calls, button and blinds fold, UTG+1 caps, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, CO folds, UTG+1 re-raises, Hero calls.

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets, Hero raises, Villain re-raises, Hero caps, Villian calls.

River Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets, Villain calls.

I stand by my play re: questions #1 and #2, but I think maybe calling the villain's re-raise instead of capping may have induced 4 BB on the river instead of 1, which would have yielded a net of +2 BB (-1 on turn, +3 on river).

Comments (besides "you lucky bastard"?)
Old 02-09-2005, 05:00 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!
Default Re: Party $2/$4------99 hits straight

(1) He'd better be a LAG.
(2) Raise is good, capping would not be.
(3) No
Old 02-09-2005, 05:01 PM

with no read on the PF raiser I fold PF. given that you did, postflop is good. capping this flop would be bad, he's not capping pf and three betting the flop with a hand you beat.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:03 PM

What was your read on villian? 99 plays completely differently preflop depending on your read.

For the flop, again, reads help. Would he play AK like this, or only an overpair? He did cap preflop, and is now 3-betting you after you 3-bet preflop and raised him on the flop. He's screaming monster.

As for the turn, I'd just cap it. Take his money now, while you have the chance. Say he has AA, and he puts you on TT/JJ/QQ/KK and a Q falls on the river? Then he might just check/call on the river and you lost a bet by not capping the turn. Don't look for fancy plays, just jam the pot.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Questions:
(1) Pre-flop re-raising OK?
(2) Flop call (not capping) OK?
(3) Could I have extracted more money from villain with different play on the turn?

Typically loose Party $2/$4 limit Bad Beat Jackpot table

Hero is UTG+2 with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 raises, Hero re-raises, 3 folds, CO calls, button and blinds fold, UTG+1 caps, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, CO folds, UTG+1 re-raises, Hero calls.

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets, Hero raises, Villain re-raises, Hero caps, Villian calls.

River Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets, Villain calls.

I stand by my play re: questions #1 and #2, but I think maybe calling the villain's re-raise instead of capping may have induced 4 BB on the river instead of 1, which would have yielded a net of +2 BB (-1 on turn, +3 on river).

Comments (besides "you lucky bastard"?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the 3 bet PF from this position unless your table condition is such that you think its very likely to isolate you against the raiser. And even then I don't like it much. Nice flop for you though.

And no, I like the turn cap just fine in terms of money extraction. I think its more likely to get you the most money. If you call the 3 bet turn and raise the river he may slow down there--people tend to get more cautious on the river and so you'd get the same as here--but the advantage here is he's almost guarranteed at least call the turn cap. Throw in that he might not bet out the river even if you just call the turn, or might fold to a river raise and capping the turn is the way to go.

--Zetack
Old 02-09-2005, 05:09 PM

Pre-flop - If the raiser is tight or you are unlikely to get lots of callers then i fold. Otherwise the re-raise is correct of you are at a loose table. Never want to cold call this from this position.

Flop - I think i do the same. You have gut shot and over pair but you still might be behind to any over pair and if an over card comes on the turn you might be way behind. Calling the 3-bet is correct.

I like the cap on the turn. He might still bet out on the river and thus you can raise him and gain at least one bet.

If you just call the turn 3 bet and raise a bet on the river then you gain nothing. I doubt he 3-bets the river to a raise. Also he may just have over cards and could be bluffing on the turn 3-bet (though obviously very unlikely).

I like the plays on all streets