Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Tournament Clock

Seen loads of tournament clocks on the internet, BUT which is the best one?

Monty
Old 02-09-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Tournament Clock

The two I like best are:

Poker Clock
The Tournament Director

Poker Clock costs $$$. I purchased it before they split the program into Standard/Professional and was grandfathered into the Professional version. This is what I currently use - been using it for almost a year now. Very simple to use though it lacks the features of The Tournament Director.

I always want to give The Tournament Director a try but am a little nervous about something going wrong in the middle of a game. This has a ton of features. If I kept track of players when they bust out (on the computer) I would switch today. I don't do this because I could be on the other side of the room and don't want to waste time walking to computer and making an adjustment every time someone busts.

Has anyone been able to easily use these features? Just don't want to interrupt the game every time someone busts out. We're time conscious players [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Either move your desktop to a table that can be put near you or get a cheap laptop (obviously not a cheap alternative, but common sense if you have a laptop already (like me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])).
Old 02-09-2005, 11:30 AM

We just trained the people who play to knock themselves out of the tournament using TD. It is just a matter of hitting "x" on the keyboard and picking their name out.

I used the demo of Poker Clock until that ran out, but found the Tournament Director to be more full featured. I use it exclusively now.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:50 AM

Dr. Neau just released version 2 of his Tournament Manager. I've been using it since version 1 and version 2 is looking great. It's also donation ware...
Old 02-09-2005, 12:01 PM

I have used Poker Clock for a few months, and I like its layout and ease of use. I just downloaded TD and have yet to use it. The limited time I used with it, it seemed to be more complicated that PC and harder to setup. I thought that PC's format looked more professional.

I did find that if you erase some registry values, you can go ahead and keep using PC for free. =)
Old 02-09-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that PC's format looked more professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can change the display options on the TD. I didn't care for the default display either. You just have to play with it to find the display setup that suits you.

I also have the Poker Clock but I use TD exclusively now.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:07 PM

I used The Tournament Director for the first time during our last tournament. I thought it was great! One recommendation though, take time to play with it and figure out all of the settings long before your tournament comes around. I sat down and had to do all of the settings for our tournament, which was a rebuy, about 30 min before we were going to start, and that was a little stressful.

Next time, I'm going to play around with the features where you can input players, have rankings, etc. I really think it's great software though, and everyone was impressed with the clock, etc.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:09 PM

You really do have to do a mock tournament with TD to get the feel of it. You can set the rounds to last 2 minutes or something equally quick to run through an event.

There are templates for the base screens, but you can modify them as needed. For example, some of my events have rebuys, some don't- I take out the # rebuys box for events that don't. I also changed up the colors to make it show up better on the laptop I use. FYI: I use the blue/green layout with a bunch of customizations. Biggest tip: learn the hotkeys. They will save you tons of time and you can teach them to others to allow the tournement to run smoother. I have seen as many as 80 people in a TD run event. Personally I have run a 40 person event with the seating charts.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We just trained the people who play to knock themselves out of the tournament using TD. It is just a matter of hitting "x" on the keyboard and picking their name out.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto, unless I happen to have the wireless keyboard with me.

Ten