Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Overaggressive at 6xBB?

Too soon to push with any two?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

UTG (t1370)
MP (t2755)
Hero (t1255)
SB (t1525)
BB (t1095)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1255 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t1155, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t2710) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Turn: (t2710) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t2710) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t2710
Old 02-09-2005, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Overaggressive at 6xBB?

Is your next BB 200? if so I believe this is an easy fold.

At 300 I probably still fold, but it's a lot more dependent on the players in your game then.

Lori
Old 02-09-2005, 03:37 AM

Yeah, my next blinds would be 100/200.

Would you advocate never (or almost never) pushing garbage unless you will lose folding equity with the next round of blinds?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:42 AM

I think you have a strange stack size here, I'm sure others would push.

I just look at next round. After I've folded through, I'm still going to have 955 chips and that 'feels' okay to me in this situation.
Had the blinds gone up, 805 is starting to feel a little close to running out of folding equity so I'm more likely to take a shot.

The other aspect is that if I double thru 955, I fancy that I'm going to cash here, whereas doubling through 805 still feels a little borderline.

Despite thinking it's an easy fold, I also don't think there's ever _much_ wrong with pushing from the button when the blinds are high, there are probably worse things to worry about (Not meant to sound how it looks, the question is a very valid one)

Edit: If you have less chips, pushing is fine, I just feel you can wait one more round on this occasion.

Lori
Old 02-09-2005, 03:03 PM

hm.. fold if you have 3.5BB+ left over after your next round of blinds?

until i read that from Lori, i would have advocated pushing with any 2 on the button at 6BB.

Lori, what if he was the SB. would you push w/89o in that situation with those stack sizes and blind levels?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:50 PM

I'd fold this for sure... the blinds tend to assume a button push is a marginal hand and make their decisions based on this assumption. I dont like proving them right. You're in good shape here, and can easily make it through the next few rounds -- little bit of patience goes a long way, etc, etc
Old 02-09-2005, 05:03 PM

If the blinds were tight this is a fine push. Most players will not call this raise without a premium hand, and if you do get called hopefully it is by face cards, and not a high pair or a9s or something, and you have a better chance to suck out. Honestly I prefer pushing lower connectors than something like a4 since when you do get called you will generally be crushed by a better ace.

If they were blinds were looser and were willing to gamble I wouldn't push this hand.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:14 PM

Why risk it? With 6x the BB on the button you will see you next few pockets for free. Wait for better cards to push, I'd say.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why risk it? With 6x the BB on the button you will see you next few pockets for free. Wait for better cards to push, I'd say.

[/ QUOTE ]

because it might be the last time he'll be the 1st to bet.

i've had situations where someone limped/raised before me whenever i was shortstacked as the button/sb. i didnt have the cards to call. so i couldnt steal to keep myself alive.

at 6bb, you are cutting it close. if you have 3.5BB after the next orbit, you will probably be a dog you if dont get cards and can't steal by the time the next, next orbit comes around.

or if the blinds go up and your 3.5BB is now 2.33BB.

Or is this a leak in my game? and i should wait till 3.5BB to push with garbage by 89o?
Old 02-09-2005, 05:48 PM

At my current level I couldn't say if that was a leak in your game or not. However the BB is only 200 with 1200 chips he could wait till BB, maybe catch a lucky flop, and if he doesn't he still has 1000 chips and another orbit of free hands for a potential double up.