Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 12:23 AM

Default I am trying to decide whether to move from 3-6 to 5-10 sh. Any help?

I looked through the search as much as I could and I really couldn't find an answer to my question. I am not sure if I am missing out on significant money by not playing the 5-10. Does anyone who go from the 3-6 to the 5-10 short go back? Is it pretty much always a successful move, once one gets used to the swings? Do good players really ever stay at the 3-6, or do they always work toward the 5-10?

I'm beating the 3-6 pretty badly right now, and I have pretty good SH skills, but I am frankly pretty nervous about any potential move. Can anyone provide some advice?

Thank you and sorry if you hate this sort of post.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: I am trying to decide whether to move from 3-6 to 5-10 sh. Any help?

if you've never played six max play 10 or 20k 1/2 hands first, but yeah, if you have the bankroll for it, 5/10 parth sh is the most profitable game going.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: I am trying to decide whether to move from 3-6 to 5-10 sh. Any help?

I'm beating the 3-6 pretty badly right now, and I have pretty good SH skills, but I am frankly pretty nervous about any potential move. Can anyone provide some advice?

i played 5/10 for a brief amount of time. the aggression will go up immediatly, but if you want to play in the most profitable games around you will have to get used to that at some point.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:20 AM

So the 5-10 is the most profitable game on Party?

Sigh.

I guess I am going to have to suck it up and try.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: I am trying to decide whether to move from 3-6 to 5-10 sh. Any hel

Make sure you are comfortably bankrolled or if taking a shot move back if you lose 100 bb.

-Michael
Old 02-09-2005, 01:28 AM

Thanks. I have about 10k from 3-6, so my BR is fine. I just need to be able to handle the swings. Are they really bad at this level?
Old 02-09-2005, 01:31 AM

I have been taking a lot of time off but when I was playing 6+ tables 40-50 hours a week it was a near guarantee that I would have close to a 100 bb losing streak somewhere in there.

-Michael
Old 02-09-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been taking a lot of time off but when I was playing 6+ tables 40-50 hours a week it was a near guarantee that I would have close to a 100 bb losing streak somewhere in there.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooooookay.

I now have to re-evaluate this.

My thing on the 3-6 is that I really don't go on losing streaks very often at all (I have played almost 120k hands at that level). For me losing even 100BB is a *massive* losing streak that has only happened a couple of times. And I have to say, it kind of pisses me off when it happens. Kind of a lot.

So perhaps the 5-10 sh is not for me. A 300 downswing would pretty much make me insane, I think. Is the 5-10 really profitable enough to be worth the aggravation? Right now I make about 4k per month at 3-6, and I play pretty casually (I have a day job). Do the regular 5-10 players make a lot more than that? Yes I know it depends on hours put in and all that, but I'm trying to get a feel for what the general results might be for a good player and whether it is worth it to me to invest the time into datamining and getting an ulcer.

I understand I am asking some somewhat vague questions here, but for me "taking a shot" is not really ideal. I scout a game for at least 2 weeks of hardcore datamining before I even attempt it, and that's 2 weeks I could be getting more 3-6 data. Also, I'd sort of like to decide on where I am going to play and play there instead of just jumping back if things don't go well initially.

Thanks to all who have provided some guidance. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just need to be able to handle the swings. Are they really bad at this level?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're only used to full ring, then yes, expect an ulcer. The official HUSH standard is that you need a 300 BB downswing before anyone will listen to your sob story.

Scott
Old 02-09-2005, 01:34 AM

Are they really bad at this level?

i usually have my GF kick me in the balls before a session to prepare me for them