Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Did my TT miss value on the river during my rush or played right?

While I'm a fan of the one-hand; one-post approach, a little backstory might help...

B&M 4/8 game, 9-handed (note that caps are 5 bets)

I post behind the button, look at 72o against both blinds and UTG+1, and see A72 rainbow staring back at me. UTG+1 bets, I raise and flip over my cards when he folds. Welcome to the table.

Still first orbit and I'm SB with 88. MP1 (UTG+1 from previous hand) and MP2 limp, I raise, BB folds, limpers call, and I bet in the dark (I'm ahead of any limping hand and I'm going to have to lead to win it, anyway). 2 calls on K84 rainbow. I lead the turn on a blank, MP1 goes headsup into calldown mode and it's another win. Dealer liked my dark-bet and that's what counts...

Subsequent SB, I'm SB with 88 again. UTG+1, MP1, and cutoff limp, I complete (to mix it up and because I'm pretty sure BB is coming along; he's still jawing with MP1 about my dark bet and is the villain in the hand I want to talk about). Flop hits me again with A87, I check and there's action behind me and I slowplay the set and pop the river with 2 callers (BB & MP1).

You'd think MP1 would be steaming, but he's pretty affable and our banter has been friendly. The fellow to my left however... he's got me pegged as a lucky maniac (and maybe he's right).

Next orbit. I've played my BB (winning outright on a preflop raise), my SB (losing AJo to rivered ATs two-pair), and on the button I'm looking at red TT with LP and cutoff limping. I raise and SB's had enough of my crap and re-raises. BB folds, 2 calls and I 3-bet. The table takes notice since I've not gone to war with anybody yet (just pushed). 3 calls and we see a flop of A94 rainbow. He leads the flop, 2 calls, I raise, he 3-bets, LP folds, cutoff calls 2 cold and I call. Board drops a blank and he checks (in deference to the smoothcall, I think), cutoff checks and I check (expecting to be behind an A-big). The river comes off a Q and it goes check-check-check. Cutoff shows a 9, I show my TT and SB mucks.

So apart from being hard to read in paragraph-format, what the heck happened to SB (what can he be betting that can't beat tens)? Is a value bet on the river obvious or did I handle the river right?