Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 11:04 PM

Default more isolation + 3rd barrel river

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

This isolation raise is less clear than the one in my other post. Villain has only been around 2-3 orbits, but he's 50+/25+/2+
so far -- I'm operating under the assumption that he's either LAGgy or some variant of TA/sLA and catching good starters, and I'm leaning toward the former.

I don't think I've played a single hand in the last few orbits, though I may have check/folded out of the blinds.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

I get what I want. Let's see what happens

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Nice flop. Clear bet.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

I likely have fold equity, and there's no point letting Villain see a free river... especially if I'll feel any obligation to call a river bet -- which I might have to do unless the board gets scarier. The c/r possibility also doesn't bother me too much.

River: (6.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

I rarely make this play, but this seemed like a good time for it. If I'm called, I'm almost certainly beaten. However, there's also a very good chance that I'll lose most of the time if I check. The key decisions seems to be whether Villain will lay down a better ace (or small pair?) often enough to make the bet +EV.

If Villain caught a piece of the board, I think he either flopped/turned a monster he's slowplaying or would have tested me at some point. He's shown a marked tendency toward aggression, and this is the sort of board that is unlikely to have helped me (other than wheel-draw possibilities). He may be on a big overpair, but again I think he would have capped pf or bet/raised at some point.

Villain hasn't seemed to show down hands that he thinks are beaten. He might take a shot with them, but there's been no evidence so far that he'd go passive with A high, or call along in some sort of way ahead/way behind type groove.

It all seemed to add up to a bet. Anyone prefer a check?

As an aside, I'm aware that I read a lot into the situation given my sketchy read. I don't often give a lot of weight to stats, especially this early. However, the pertinent points seemed to be that he was demonstrably aggressive both pre and post flop, and seemed capable of folding a hand he thought was beaten. Out of the 10-15 hands he's seen the flop with, I've actively watched at least 4-5.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: more isolation + 3rd barrel river

Either the turn bet or the river bet is bad. You can't have fold equity on the turn and expect him to call the river with less then A high. This just makes zero sense dude. If he calls on the river, you are going to lose if he is capable of laying down a hand on 4th. I like a turn check to induce a bluff against this guy.

Brad
Old 02-08-2005, 01:25 AM

I'd like it more if it was short-handed. And I agree with you putting too much weight behind your read. Not enough hands.

I either check the turn or the river.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either the turn bet or the river bet is bad. You can't have fold equity on the turn and expect him to call the river with less then A high. This just makes zero sense dude. If he calls on the river, you are going to lose if he is capable of laying down a hand on 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. That's exactly the reasoning behind my river bet.

The question was whether I fold his bigger ace/small pair often enough to make the river bet pay. The problem with the "check to induce" line is that I didn't think I'd win often enough against his bluff.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:24 AM

It's way too few hands to make a read based on the numbers, but the combination of clear aggressive tendencies + the feeling I had about his game from the hands I'd seen him play gave me enough information to consider making a play like this.

But point taken.

My feeling was that he'd probably fold AK, AQ, AJ, AT and call with any pair. I also didn't think it likely that I was going to be bluff raised, and was obviously prepared to fold.

Probably not a good hand to post given how much of it relied on my read of the situation. Was just curious if anyone hated the play. And I didn't want to get myself into trying to do the math. I have bonuses to clear and more than enough ways to avoid playing.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:46 AM

The turn bet was good. A semi-bluff with alot of fold equity is always going to be an auto-bet.

However, his call on the turn makes me think he has a pocket pair. Overcards hit the flop but he doesn't give you credit for a better hand and is afraid to raise to find out. Yikes! To answer your question...it doesn't look like he's going to fold enough on the river for you to turn a profit. 6.75BB pot. If he folds 1 in 6 times, you turn a profit. Dubious...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:30 PM

Now that I think about it, it can't be too harmful to classify a player after a few rings. If you felt you had a good read on him, then I like your river bet more.