Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Scratch off ticket theory.

Okay, the other night I was with my girlfriend getting gas as we were coming back from a superbowl/poker party. I asked her if she would pick out a couple scratch off tickets for me (I normally don't play these but I felt lucky.. :P).

She picked out one called 7-11-21:

To play "7-11-21," scratch off the entire play area. Add all 3 of "YOUR NUMBERS" across for each game. If the total is 7, 11, or 21 in a single game, you win the prize shown for that game.

Overall Odds of winning playing 7-11-21 are: 1 in 4.97

Another called Double Your Money:

To play "Double Your Money," scratch off the entire play area. Match any of YOUR NUMBERS to either of the WINNING NUMBERS and win the prize shown for that number. Get a "" symbol and instantly win DOUBLE the prize shown for that symbol.

Overall Odds of winning playing Double Your Money are: 1 in 4.1

And finally one that I got lucky on before, $25,000 Bankroll:

To play "$25,000 Bank Roll," scratch off the entire play area. Match any of YOUR AMOUNTS to either of the WINNING AMOUNTS and win that amount. Get a bankroll "" symbol and instantly win $25.

Overall Odds of winning playing $25,000 Bank Roll are: 1 in 3.98

We bought 1 7-11-21, 1 Double Your Money, and 1 $25,000 Bankroll. Now an interesting thing happened. A girl that we had just played poker with worked at the gas station we were buying tickets at. She said to us "You know, scratch off theory says you should buy two more of those 7-11-21's." I thought for a second and figured.. what the hell, it's only $2. We bought two more 7-11-21's.

Total expense $7
The first 7-11-21 we bought won $5.
The Double Your Money lost.
The $25,000 won $9.
So far on our picks we were up $7.

Now, one of the 7-11-21's, the first one, won us a ticket.
The second one, the one she hinted at us to buy, won $15.
We were pretty stoked, and gave her the tickets to cash out. She looked at the tickets and said.. "Guess what? You didn't win $15, you won $75!" Turns out we had overlooked the bottom row where we won an extra $60! We bought one more ticket which lost and my girlfriend and I each pocketed $41. (She picked them so I told her I would split the winnings with her.. she's got this thing about picking out winning tickets, don't ask.)

Anyways, on to the point of this topic. The theory that our friend explained to us was this. At the bottom right corner of the scratch off ticket we won big on was a little black corner outline as shown below:

I am unsure if there is a specific number of tickets that this symbol comes out on, how often it comes out, or if this is even a sure sign that these tickets are winners.

My question is this: I am interested in researching this theory, and wonder if it is possible to become a consistent winner playing scratch-off tickets using this method. What would be a good starting bankroll for say $1 tickets, $2 tickets, and $3 tickets? What would be a good sample size to see if it is consistent? Is this even worth me wasting money on?

I'm going to check the galottery.com site to get all the odds for each individual ticket and I might type up a report of my results if I decide to pursue this.