Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Party Poker\'s response to Poker Prophecy

I wrote an email to Party asking if they were planning on taking action against Poker Prophecy. The response was typical PP management foolishness: they're claiming to go after the players that use it. (I'm sure that's working out great). Here's their response:

------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting us.

We would like to assure you our development team is on the process of implementing preventive measures to rectify the problem as soon as possible. We request your patience in the interim as it may take time to implement changes on a platform as huge as ParyPoker.com. However, we would like to inform you that strict action is being taken against players using these software and their accounts would be closed once we verify that these software have been giving them an unfair advantage over other players.

Having said the above, we request you to shed your apprehensions about the usage of any such software in real money tables as the real money tables are being monitored 24/7 by our Investigations Team and every action by the player is recorded in our database.

We value your association with us and we hope that you keep having a great time at our tables.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Department at any time. We are here 24/7 to assist you via email.

Thank you for choosing us as your online gaming site!

Hussain
Poker Customer Care
Old 02-07-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Party Poker\'s response to Poker Prophecy

All I can say is, wow.

That response sounds like they neither know nor care what Poker Prophecy is.

Looks like it will be around for a while.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That response sounds like they neither know nor care what Poker Prophecy is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I can't say I'm surprised, either.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:14 PM

Here's what you said on the other thread about Poker Prophecy:

[ QUOTE ]
Ethically I have no problem with it. Players keep records on each other in any sport. Chess competitors can see the full transcript of every match their opponent has ever had.

Still, I'd rather see it gone. I think it's seriously dumping chlorine into the fish pond.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your objection, and the reason that you emailed Party Poker, is that you don't want to provide fish with information that they might find useful. You want to keep the fish fat and stupid and happy.

Of course, that's not what you said to Party Poker. What you said to Party Poker is that this software is giving some players an unfair advantage over others. What you really meant is that you don't want your advantage over others taken away.

I want the fish to keep swimming, too. But I don't object to products that might help them become better players (i.e., books, software programs).

Atticus Finch, you're not.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:44 PM

This is a reply from an outsourced customer service drone. I doubt that any conclusions regarding Party Poker's position can be drawn from this.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, that's not what you said to Party Poker. What you said to Party Poker is that this software is giving some players an unfair advantage over others.

[/ QUOTE ]
I said nothing of the kind. Their response was a form letter that I can only assume they send to anyone asking about bots, poker tracker, or any other program. My email only asked what they thought of it and if they planned to allow it to continue. In fact, I sent them a second email saying I didn't care about any "unfair advantage," and that I was more concerned about it driving players away.

[ QUOTE ]

What you really meant is that you don't want your advantage over others taken away.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong again. What I said was, I don't want recreational players to be driven away by having their fun ruined by people quoting statistics to back up their rude statements online. I have no objection whatsoever to resources being openly available for all to learn and use. If I did, why would I discuss my strategy in a publicly-available forum?

In the present case, I think the limited value the program provides is outweighed by the danger of driving new players away. I couldn't care less if someone looks me up, sees that I'm a winning player, and folds their hand because of it. In fact, that would be great.

[ QUOTE ]

I want the fish to keep swimming, too. But I don't object to products that might help them become better players (i.e., books, software programs).

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor do I. I'm relatively new here, but if you read my posts you'll see that I'm always ready to help newcomers who want to learn about the game. I've given links to Poker Tracker to a number of new players. I'm just concerned about the danger of reducing the player base, and I strongly doubt prophecy will improve anyone's actual poker game at all. (As in it may help slightly with certain decisions, but it teaches nothing about the strategy of the game)

[ QUOTE ]

Atticus Finch, you're not.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, and I don't claim to be. But one thing Atticus would never have done is pass judgment on someone without making the slightest effort to understand what they were saying.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:39 PM

We don't want the fish looking themselves up and discovering that they are the fish.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:44 PM

You guys want to tell us fishes what Poker Prophecy is?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:56 PM

I just did a google search on poker prophecy. The first thing that popped up was this thread. That google be fast.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:00 PM

link