Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Doyle bluffs Gus Hansen with nothing & taunts him... then overplays QQ

Did you see the rub-it-in look Doyle gave Gus when Doyle bluffed him out holding 78o on a K 3 J 5 board?? Doyle laughed and showed Gus his cards and said something that I couldn't make out with the announcer voice over...

all that was entertaining and good but then Doyle overplays the QQ with a massive overbet...

Doyle showed Gus no respect for ever having any cards and played his QQ like a fool. Sorry but I was happy to see Gus stick it to Doyle Brunson.

Gus caught cards and repeatedly won the big pot coin-flips. But that is always necessary to win a tournament.

Here was the overplay

Hansen A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] raises to $35,000
Brunson in SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] calls

Pot $87,000
Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Doyle Checks
Hansen bets $40,000 (a little less than 1/2 the pot)
Brunson raises all-in to $650,000

650/127 = 5x+ the pot

Gus says: ~ 'that is a weird ass play'
Brunson says 'you don't see much chance of folding?'
Gus says: 'no, I can't really see how I can do it'

Call
Old 02-06-2005, 11:55 PM

Default Re: Doyle bluffs Gus Hansen with nothing & taunts him... then overplay

this is a beautiful result of what doyle and the boys think of gus, and gus exploited it the entire series. early on, lederer would raise all in over the top of gus, holding medium strength starting hands. gus busted him, i think twice, in exactly the way he busted him tonight (AQ v A9 tonight, i think).

early in the series doyle said something like "gus is good, but he hasn't played with guys like us very often." i'm sorry to say it, and i really do respect doyle, but ho hum.

he played a lot like he says to play in SS, with huge overbets to "put the other guy to the test for all his chips." i think we see what the danger is in that.

am i right?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:14 AM

Yes its really dangerous to go all in with QQ on 3 8 10 rainbow against a player who doesn't lay down many hands....

lol
Old 02-07-2005, 12:26 AM

"doesn't lay down many hands" and "Plays lots of hands" are two entirely different things and shouldn't be confused.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes its really dangerous to go all in with QQ on 3 8 10 rainbow against a player who doesn't lay down many hands....

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was stupid. Believe it or not Gus does not win three WPT tournaments and now this one by being an idiot. He likes to make calls like on the Bad Boys tourney just to set up overplays like Doyle made. Gus would not have called Doyle with any hand that wasn't beating him. What, do you really think Gus would call here with A 10? Read his Card Player interview, read Daniel Negranyu's opinions on Gus and you'll see this is EXACTLY the kind of play Gus' image lets him take down, and Doyle fell for it just like Gus' friend and training partner Lederer did...
Old 02-07-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Doyle bluffs Gus Hansen with nothing & taunts him... then overplays QQ

doyle played it right, he just got unlucky here. doyle is a super player and picked a good spot to double up or win it there. it didnt work out. thats life in the fast lane.
what was he supposed to do. call and check again on fourth street. or raise 200,000 and leave himself with 4 and check on fourth street, or fold if a scare card comes. no he did great but lost. dont get so mesmerized by players and think they are gods. they arent.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Doyle bluffs Gus Hansen with nothing & taunts him... then overplays QQ

hey zee why is your name on fire?
Old 02-07-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a beautiful result of what doyle and the boys think of gus, and gus exploited it the entire series. early on, lederer would raise all in over the top of gus, holding medium strength starting hands. gus busted him, i think twice, in exactly the way he busted him tonight (AQ v A9 tonight, i think).

early in the series doyle said something like "gus is good, but he hasn't played with guys like us very often." i'm sorry to say it, and i really do respect doyle, but ho hum.

he played a lot like he says to play in SS, with huge overbets to "put the other guy to the test for all his chips." i think we see what the danger is in that.

am i right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy to "exploit" people when you have AA vs QQ and the board comes ten high....

You REALLY think that if Gus had the QQ there and Doyle the AA, gus lays down? No Fuc[/b]king chance. Sometimes, it's just the cards. You have never once seen Gus get away from a decent hand in the face of adversity on TV, period.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:04 AM

i am hot. thats what happens when you are a god.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"doesn't lay down many hands" and "Plays lots of hands" are two entirely different things and shouldn't be confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not confusing it. Based on the hands they showed, he really rarely folded to a raise.

If he had A 10, he would probably do his facial expression put Doyle on J9, and call. Then explain that he called because of the Ace out, 10 out plus a backdoor flush. So that 7 outs!!! More than enough for him. Plus there's money already in the pot, so he's being a dog 3.5 to 1 is not that bad, if thats the case, which is likely not because Doyle has J9