Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 02:29 PM

Default S&M hand rankings challenged

Mason,

The site below challenges the accuracy of the hand rankings from HPFAP. Does their argument hold water?

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/mummert/poker/
Old 02-04-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: S&M hand rankings challenged

Not again. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Please use the search function. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2005, 03:28 PM

Check this post, which contains Mason Malmuth's responses to the hand rankings you cited.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...=14&fpart=
Old 02-04-2005, 03:46 PM

Hi Binions:

Thanks for putting up the link. It'll save me the time required to repost it again.

Part of the reason I go the effort of reposting this is that the authors of this report were incredibly nasty towards us and me in particular. Apparently they were trying to sell this garbage when they first produced it, and when virtually no one bought it they got fairly vicious. I was accused of not allowing any comment of it on our site, and also accused of even refusing to look at it myself.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-04-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Question for ya

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Binions:

Thanks for putting up the link. It'll save me the time required to repost it again.

Part of the reason I go the effort of reposting this is that the authors of this report were incredibly nasty towards us and me in particular. Apparently they were trying to sell this garbage when they first produced it, and when virtually no one bought it they got fairly vicious. I was accused of not allowing any comment of it on our site, and also accused of even refusing to look at it myself.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mason

Thanks for the background on the Taylor bunch.

Got a question, and I hope it's not a sore subject. If it is, I apologize in advance.

Have you ever addressed Abdul Jalib's PosEV opening hand chart/memo like you did the Taylor essay?

I have searched the archives, and I can't find anything other than Abdul used to post here, but now he doesn't.

As an aside, I do know that Abdul's 1999 theory of "sucking out" was the first I ever saw that quantified backdoor flush draws and 3-straights as 1.5 outs each, something Ed incorporated into his book. Also in 1999, he advocated raising in back with hands that are likely to win more than their fair share against loose limpers under a pot equity theory, another idea Ed advocates in SSHE.

So it seems Abdul's got some good ideas. Just wondering if you ever commented on his starting hand chart/memo, which appears much tighter, at least up front, than either the HEPFAP or SSHE (tight game) guidelines.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Question for ya

Binions,

Do you have a link to Abdul Jalib's starting hands essay? I would like to read it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:50 PM

http://www.posev.com/poker/holdem/st...lop-abdul.html
Old 02-04-2005, 05:58 PM

In a similar vein are Ismet Fekali's words of wisdom. http://slicer.headsupclub.com:3455/16/Home

ZB
Old 02-04-2005, 06:11 PM

Thanks for this. I am just working through it but it is a very interesting read.

A couple of things that stand out to me as likely correct as compared to HEFAP:

[ QUOTE ]
Most importantly, S&M do not emphasize having the biggest cards in a pot if you play offsuit cards. Here is the most striking example from their book: "If you are dead last - that is, if you are on the button - and there are already callers, you can play hands in Groups 1-7." Group 7 includes J9, T9, and 98, which I recommend folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Similarly, it is an S&M myth that you should raise with baby pairs like 33 after six (or fewer) limpers, even if you know the blinds will call. Although you will flop a set more then 1 in 9 times, you will win the pot less than 1 in 9 times. Since you will win the pot less than your fair share, you should not raise. A possible exception is when the raise has a decent chance of buying you a free card on the flop, as this now improves your chance of winning to better than 1 in 9, but it is normally rare that all 8 opponents would check to the raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best regards
Old 02-04-2005, 06:18 PM

In loose games, Miller advocates raising limpers with AA-88 in late position, and calling with 77-22.