Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Are there other ways to play this?

I will play it like this with the exception of the turn. Whether to give up on the turn depends on my read/feel for the guy. I will never call a river bet of that size but have called much lower ones, like 20% of the pot or something. My question is. Are there other things that I can do in this situation that would make more or losse less money over the long run?
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.02 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($4.06)
UTG+1 ($1.96)
Hero ($3.86)
MP1 ($2.17)
MP2 ($1.98)
MP3 ($1.36)
CO ($.85)
Button ($1.41)
SB ($2.04)
BB ($.57)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.12</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.12, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: ($0.27) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.2</font>, MP2 calls $0.20.

Turn: ($0.67) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.45</font>, MP2 calls $0.45.

River: ($1.57) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $1.21 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $2.78
Old 02-04-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Are there other ways to play this?

Yes, call the river. I would bet the full pot on the turn, and with the shallow stack that leaves him, I call the river. He will just as often have A J, a lower set, or two pair or nothing as a flopped flush. My guess is he was on a draw the whole time and that he considered your check on the river as an invitation for him to take it down.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:35 AM

If you're going to check, you have to call the river. Checking there is MEANT to get him to bluff at the pot. If you want to fold to a bet, then you should bet a blocking bet on the river and fold to a raise. Otherwise you are too easy to bluff off the pot.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:39 AM

In a heads-up situation, it is very hard for him/her to have the two exact suited spades. I would bet the river not just as a blocking bet, but for value as I am convinced my hand is good.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:27 PM

Wow, I have it ass backwards then. The reason I would check the river would be out of fear not strength. I do understand the concept that if you are going to induce a bluff then you must call it. It just was not on my mind. All I was thinking was that I was done with the hand and was not going loose any more chips on what looked to me to be a better hand.

I see what you are saying about the blocking bet. It doesn't cost that much. It buys me one last bit of information. And it could save me from making a huge mistake by giving up a pot that I should win.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:13 PM

Bet full pot on the turn. Bet on the river. In this situation, definitely call the push. You are ahead far more often than you think. You have played pretty weakly, and villain may have sensed this and made a move. Call here unless you have an incredible read on the villain.

- Tot