Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 10:05 AM

Default Facing flopped aces with JJ...

The following hand occured yesterday in a 4/8 game at Foxwoods. Another poster here, who is a professional (i.e. self-supporting) 20-40 Stud/HE player, disagreed with my play. Feel free to chime in with your opinions.

UTG is an ABC player who spends the time when he is not in a hand reading the paper. He also throws his cards when his big pairs lose. UTG+1 is a kid who came to the table less than an hour ago after winning $600 in a MTT, although he doesn't seem like anything special. MP also placed in that same tourney (busted out sooner but also in the money), and seems to be a fairly tight/decent player.

On to the hand:

UTG raises, UTG+1 coldcalls, folded to MP who coldcalls, folded to me and I three-bet with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], folded back to UTG who calls, as do the two coldcallers. (four to the flop).

Flop (13.5SB)

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, MP folds, I raise, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls (two to the turn)

Turn (8.5BB)

[A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG+1 checks, I bet, he calls.

River (10.5 BB)

[A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, I check behind.

<font color="blue">My buddy liked my preflop three-bet, although he thought I should have folded the flop. I thought folding this already large pot on the flop would be very weak given the two aces showing, and the potential to knock out UTG's possible QQ/KK. What do all of you think? </font>
Old 02-04-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Facing flopped aces with JJ...

No read on UTG+1?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:15 AM

I think this is a great line. No reason to bet the river again, but no reason not to raise the flop and bet the turn. You'll get called with all kinds of pairs and assorted hands here, and he would have reraised with QQ or KK preflop, I have to believe. His line does not indicate an ace, as surely he would have 3 bet the flop, no?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No read on UTG+1?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just edited the original post...The read was there but I mistakingly referred to him as UTG+2 (since corrected).
Old 02-04-2005, 10:21 AM

My first thought, too, was fold the flop.

The chance that someone has an A given the PF action (very high), compared to your effective odds for a call down or bet down, makes a call unjustifiable, IMO.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My first thought, too, was fold the flop.

The chance that someone has an A given the PF action (very high), compared to your effective odds for a call down or bet down, makes a call unjustifiable, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weak-tight.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:34 AM

I play it the exact same way. I was thinking of a possible river bet but there is no way he is laying down any of his possible holdings (weak ace pocket pair)for one bet on the river. I was thinking of a turn check but it puts you in a tough spot on the river. I don't see any other way to play this hand.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking of a possible river bet but there is no way he is laying down any of his possible holdings (weak ace, pocket pair) for one bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has a pocket pair I don't think I'ld mind him calling a potential river bet. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2005, 10:42 AM

I don't like the turn bet. Your going to be cr here by an Ace. And by checking, you can induce a bluff on the river.

Given that you played it the way that you did, I don't see why you didn't bet the river. I think you'll be called by TT,99,88,K7 often enough to make this profitable. I think you will see QQ and KK very infrequently and if villian has an A, he played it like hell. Especially the flop raise. So bet the river.

Krishan
Old 02-04-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a great line. No reason to bet the river again...His line does not indicate an ace, as surely he would have 3 bet the flop, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the last statement is true, then why shouldn't I bet the river?