Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 02:25 AM

Default My most difficult flop ever - Am I weak?

Is it possible anyone here would have played this post flop differently? This is on Party Poker $22 table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter

UTG+2 (t740)
MP1 (t1775)
MP2 (t715)
Hero (t695)
CO (t455)
Button (t965)
SB (t975)
BB (t550)
UTG (t490)
UTG+1 (t640)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t85</font>, Hero calls t85, CO calls t85, Button calls t85, SB calls t70, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t455) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, CO calls t150, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t890 (All-In)</font>, MP2 folds, Hero folds, CO calls t220 (All-In).

Turn: (t1865) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1865) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1865

SB: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
CO: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Not one fXXXing spade
Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: My most difficult flop ever - Am I weak?

You probably could have kicked the SB out with a nice-sized pre-flop reraise. (But if he's willing to push with that hand after a bet and call, who knows?)

I've often found myself getting nailed when I got greedy and slow-played a big PF hand, or bet too little on the flop looking for customers. I say reraise your aces. If everyone folds, so be it.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:45 AM

I think unless SB is a known maniac, it is a fold. Now, SB is a known maniac.

Too bad he didn't hit the 4th ace. Villians need to be rewarded for those plays sometimes, and you would have had a chance to get your chips back from him.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:52 AM

Quick note: A move-in here is more likely to mean someone thinks they have the best hand (like an overpair) but doesn't want to get drawn out on by the flush, than it does a made flush. A made flush will be slowplayed much more often than pushed here.

eastbay
Old 02-04-2005, 02:54 AM

I know I could have raised more PF. I'm sure I would have been better off, but what would you do post flop?

This happen 100 times, I think I always fold
Old 02-04-2005, 02:55 AM

Eastbay, do you mean to say that you'd call?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eastbay, do you mean to say that you'd call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think I call by default there. Could go otherwise depending on opponent, but given no more information, yeah, I think it's a call.

eastbay
Old 02-04-2005, 03:02 AM

I mostly agree with eastbay. Sometimes a push is a low flush here, but with a decent-sized PF raise that's less likely.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:26 AM

Yeah, but he's up against 2 players. CO called 150 on the flop and could easily have the nuts. The raise could be trips as well as overpair. One player could have 78 with 1 or 2 spades for a huge draw and be a favorite (if not made). Just about the best case would be someone at least had one spade and you were still not be a huge favorite. You had to pretty much expect a call from CO (the SB should have expected it, which makes his play especially bad).
Old 02-04-2005, 03:40 AM

I'd interpret Eastbay as saying that the push means you are very likely ahead of the flop pusher (but by how much, I don't know).

Preflop: I think you really need to raise here to thin the field (reducing your risk someone hits the flop) and to ideally build a similarly big pot vs. just one opponent (the guy raised so he probably thinks he has something and will want to play).

Flop: Hmmm....I'm not sure I like this raise since you only have ~600 left. You're in a very tough spot b/c there are so many limpers so someone probably has a good draw and sometimes u'll be drawing almost dead. I probably check/fold this and still have a decentish stack. If you're going to bet 150 then get raised allin (rather than called) you're in a very tough spot. You have only ~400ish chips which sucks. I hate to see the other short stack guy call behind -- he very likely has a strong flush draw and/or the flush already (dunno why he called with an overpair). That being said, you almost have to call now as your pot odds are so high. There is a good chance you're up against two flush draws and/or a bigger pair/top pair type hand. It's probably +CEV and given that otherwise you're left to work with a modest 400 chip stack I'd reckon it likely could be +$EV too.

Additional questions:
What is your plan if called and a blank hits? What if you're called and a spade hits?

Yugoslav

PS See, not *all* of my posts are TSC-like with negative content.