Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Multi Table Internet Poker....Profitable?

Honestly, do you "winning" internet players think playing 4 to 6 tables affords you any real advantage?... How can you keep up with who's raised preflop for instance? I'm unable to do so if playing more than 2 tables and even then its tough. If you're active in two or more tables after the flop, can you really make the best decisions with another two or more tables beeping at you? Would not a "solid player" make a more dedicated, full mental effort on only one, or at most two tables? Flame away....maybe I'm just retarded.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Multi Table Internet Poker....Profitable?

You may give up some EV when playing more tables, but not enough to make it unprofitable.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:01 PM

Please don't crosspost. Pick one forum or the other and post your question there.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you keep up with who's raised preflop for instance? I'm unable to do so if playing more than 2 tables and even then its tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Realtime table stats -- playerview.net

[ QUOTE ]
If you're active in two or more tables after the flop, can you really make the best decisions with another two or more tables beeping at you? Would not a "solid player" make a more dedicated, full mental effort on only one, or at most two tables? Flame away....maybe I'm just retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's very healthy to ask questions to enlighten ourselves, as you are doing. The fact of the matter is, playing multiple tables has helped me play appropriately tight -- it's far too easy for me to get involved in more hands than is healthy when I am "only" playing 2-4 tables. I wouldn't recommend it to start off, but going up to 6-8 tables has really helped me keep my VP$IP down from its usual 25-30 to a more respectable 15-18.

I think any winning player should be able to handle playing 4 tables of their limit.

If you are being dealt 1 hand per minute (60h/hr at full ring) and you only play 15 out of 100 hands, that means you are active on multiple tables (besides clicking fold) that means you have a 15% * 15% = 2.25% chance of being actively involved in a hand on more than one table every minute, or about once every 45 minutes. And what percentage of your VP$IP account for playing from the blinds? This usually involves folding on a flop that missed you more often than not...

Granted, if you play more than 2 tables, your chances start to go up pretty quick, but my blood sugar is a little low to be confident in my math on that regard but i'll plow on nonetheless. I think it's a geometric progression though:
For 3 tables, you can be in multiple hands on any 2 of them 6.75% of the time or once every 15 minutes, and...
4 tables: 13.5%, once every 7 minutes
5 tables: 22.5%, once every 4.4 minutes
6 tables: 33.75%, once every 2.96 minutes
7 tables: 47.25%, once every 2.11 minutes
8 tables: 63%, once every 1.58 minutes

So as you can see, even when you get up to 8 tables you still aren't playing two hands at once most of the time, and this assumes that all your deals are synchronized, making the numbers a bit more conservative than reality.

Looking back, I have way too much free time at work...
Old 02-03-2005, 08:20 PM

You probably do have too much free time at work. But you have given me some food for thought.... Thanks.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flame away....maybe I'm just retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm offended by that statement. There's no need to make fun of the mentally challenged.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:23 PM

I'm offended that you would take offense at such an offhand remark, let alone take the time to tell someone you got your feelings hurt. Clearly you have even more free time on hand than I do, and I'm jealous.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:23 PM

Sorry to offend you..... you must be a democrat! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 08:30 PM

Sorry. Won't do it again. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 08:32 PM

big monitors, not playing many hands, lots of practice and tools.

It's freaking easy to play 6 tables once you get the hang of it.