Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Am I dumb here?

This was toward the end of my session, and, while I was playing the hand, I kept thinking, this probably isn't the best play. My only read was that the button seemed a little fishy, showing down some odd cards...

On the flop, do people check raise this? Maybe with a nut flush draw (I know the boat is a possibility out there) I would check raise, but I barely felt comfortable calling two cold here.

How about the turn? Bet out? I was still a little afraid of 10-J. Is this too weak? Once I saw the button raising, I said hell with it -- in for a penny, in for a pound. Still, MP1's cold-call of 3 bets kind of freaked me out.

I think the river's OK, but maybe some of you disagree.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (20.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 23.75 BB
Old 02-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Am I dumb here?

well, you certainly have enough of a pot equity edge that raising the flop after it is back to you is ok, but I don't raise here. If villains are LAGs, which they may be from your description, then you have a lot of implied odds to go for the check raise on 4th should you hit, but check raising the flop will hurt your chances there. If villains are very passive, then raising the flop here would probably be correct. Passive opponents will give you less action on a turn c/r, and it is very possible to actually buy a free river from UTG whith a flop check raise (they will fear another on the turn). If you were in later position, a raise would certainly be correct. Also, the board being paired cuts down significantly on your equity edge, but with 3 opponents in, it would not be a mistake to raise here.