Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 02:14 PM

Default 10+1 Hand - where did I go wrong?

Folks,

Was I just a sucker on the river here? On the wrong side of variance at the moment, and concerned I'm getting a bit tilty.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t955)
MP1 (t505)
MP2 (t1845)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t740)
Hero (t770)
SB (t785)
BB (t800)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t87.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t87.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t55</font>, UTG+1 calls t55, MP1 folds, Hero calls t55, SB folds, BB folds.

River: (t252.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font> <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t200</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises t700 (all-in) </font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds

Final Pot: t1855

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 9s 9h (full house, nines full of jacks).
Hero has Ah Jd (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: UTG wins t1855 </font>
Old 02-03-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: 10+1 Hand - where did I go wrong?

UTG is UTG so me should be holding a playable hand , at least KJ or KK. You should had folded in the turn , you were clearly behind to any Kx and there were 2 more players in the hand betting in front of you.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:25 PM

You should have folded preflop. Barring that, fold the turn. Barring that, just call the river.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:47 PM

Well, I don't really have a problem with playing AJ in position in an unraised pot. It's not as if you can't get away from your 15 chip investment... Now, I would not have called the turn I think, not with another caller in front of me. Had UTG just bet out and not been called in front of me, I may have called, because I know I would be betting the 9, QJ, TJ, TT, 88 if I were UTG in an attempt to pick up the pot with what might well be the best hand. However, once you call the turn and he comes after you on the river, warning signals have to go off. I would call and be happy to win the pot with your jacks or not feel too bad about losing when he turns over a full house.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:51 PM

Not making quads is always a blunder.

I'm not keen on the river raise myself.

Lori
Old 02-03-2005, 03:19 PM

I'm confused. Did 2 people just respond that they would fold on the turn?

There's 200 in the pot and you are going to fold for 55? I would probably raise here. Folding isn't even a consideration unless you have a pattern map.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:26 PM

I don't think you played this hand badly. As hard as it is not to raise the pot on the river, I would have been more inclined to just call in your spot.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. Did 2 people just respond that they would fold on the turn?

There's 200 in the pot and you are going to fold for 55? I would probably raise here. Folding isn't even a consideration unless you have a pattern map.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Which is why I fold the turn here.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Which is why I fold the turn here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, explain why you would fold the turn?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:15 PM

OK. Two Reasons.

1. My pattern map says that not only I am currently beat, but that a card is going to come that will cost me even more money.

2. Even if 1 weren't true, the situation is this. I took a flop for 15 in Level One of a SNG with A-Jo on the button to three limpers. The merits of that play are a different topic, so let's just assume I did it. Fine. The flop comes with K-9-2 rainbow. 5 people check to me. I'm having a hard time believing I have the best hand. I'm thinking, maybe there's a king out there. Maybe there's a 9. Maybe there's a pocket pair. Who knows? I don't have a hand and I'm not willing to invest any money this early in an SNG to find out. I check. Turn comes a J and puts a straight, various straight draws, and flush draw on the board. Wonderful. This is the sort of card that can cost me a lot of money. UTG underbets the pot. UTG+1 CALLS. Folded to me. Most likely scenario: One of these two guys has a hand that has mine beat, and the other has a hand I beat or is on some kind of a draw. Admittedy, it is possible that UTG has J-Q, or J-10, and UTG+1 is on a draw, or maybe they have a king bad kicker and I can knock them off of it. The only way to find out for sure is to raise, and not a small amount. But I already decided that I thought I was beat. So I'm NOT going to risk a bunch of chips this early in an SNG to find out. That's how you get yourself shortstacked early. So I fold and wait for a better opportunity.