Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 05:52 AM

Default 20+2 hand - getting too fancy here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) converter

MP1 (t1325)
Hero (t670)
MP3 (t1045)
CO (t530)
Button (t815)
SB (t655)
BB (t580)
UTG (t980)
UTG+1 (t1400)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t55</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, SB calls t95.

Turn: (t450) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

I checked this turn hoping to induce a bluff (or a bet from a second best hand) on the river. Is this trying to be too tricky at the 20+2 level?

Thanks, BLP
Old 02-03-2005, 06:41 AM

Default Re: 20+2 hand - getting too fancy here?

I think you may have played the hand a little too predictably, but it all depends on the type of opponent you are facing.

No betting preflop, so SB gets a cheap look at the flop. Lets give him/her credit for any two cards above T, perhaps any suited.

The flop is fairly ragged save the flush draw. SB bets about 1/3 the pot. He/she could have grazed the flop, bet the flush draw, or indeed have the T but worried about his/her kicker. Looks like you're trying to protect against any draws.

Now, another T falls. If the SB has the T, he/she is still worried about thier kicker, and if on flush draw, it obviously missed. Now maybe the BB isn't a thinking player, in which case I see no problem with letting the SB catch up. But it looks like you suddenly don't care about the flush draw anymore, and that just screams boat. I would try betting the turn, maybe 1/3 the pot or so. Play the T, see if the SB comes along for the ride. If the SB folds, chances are there wasn't much there anyway.

Just my .02 Take care
Old 02-03-2005, 11:00 AM

How about a smooth call on the flop? If he has a ten, then he may lead out on the turn if a number of cards show up. Such as a... Ten, a card lower than a ten, if his kicker shows up and he gets two pair. If he is on a flush draw, he checks and you value bet.

I'm not actually convinced myself that a smooth call is best, but thought I'd post it and get some comments.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:12 AM

I don't really have a problem with this play. My initial thought was that it looked like you were trying to take the hand down without a confrontation on the flop with your raise. When he calls the raise, you back off, scared hoping to get through the hand without any more money invested. If he reads the play the same way, he may well put in a solid bet on the river where you get your chance to min-raise and see what you can get out of him. Maybe he'll make a flush, two pair, or something else along the way as well and then it seems you'll almost surely induce the river bet.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:58 PM

You have to bet here in my opinion. The SB could have a Ten and be trapping you. It would be a same to not give him the check raise opportunity. I would bet something like 75 which would be enough for the flush draw to come along. Finally note if he does have a ten he has lots(7) of outs against you.