Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 03:17 AM

Default New nasty plastic chips (Borgata, et al) WHY?

Anyone know why the Borgata, Bay 101 and a few other card rooms have switched to these new plastic/rubber+slug chips? They are horrible. They can't be shuffled (i.e. ease the boredom) and they stick together when you try to make a bet.

In a word, THEY SUCK. Is it cost? Someone told me they are trying to cut down on noise, could that be it?

I've basically stopped playing hold'em @ Bay 101 (in favor of Garden City since the games are basically comparable) because of the chips. I'm still forced to play Omaha there...but that's another discussion.

Any knowledgeable folks out there care to illuminate me?
Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: New nasty plastic chips (Borgata, et al) WHY?

Durability, as clay chips do eventually have their edges worn and chipped away. The bud jones chips, however, can be cracked in two and frequently end up cracking around the outer edge, but not for a very long time. They cost roughly the same as any other chip (within 25 cents of $1/chip).

Other people have mentioned that the paulsons and other clays tend to get too scummy [ie the taj].
Old 02-08-2005, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know why the Borgata, Bay 101 and a few other card rooms have switched to these new plastic/rubber+slug chips? They are horrible. They can't be shuffled (i.e. ease the boredom) and they stick together when you try to make a bet.

In a word, THEY SUCK. Is it cost? Someone told me they are trying to cut down on noise, could that be it?

I've basically stopped playing hold'em @ Bay 101 (in favor of Garden City since the games are basically comparable) because of the chips. I'm still forced to play Omaha there...but that's another discussion.

Any knowledgeable folks out there care to illuminate me?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bay 101 chips are way better than the Borgata chips--the magnets in the Borgata chips are miserable...

scrub
Old 02-08-2005, 12:47 AM

i don't really like the rubber chips but i wouldn't stop playing somewhere because i can't shuffle the chips.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:35 AM

In AC I would, it doesn't hurt that much to play elsewhere and gosh darn it we're capitalists cater your customer with clay!
Old 02-08-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The Bay 101 chips are way better than the Borgata chips--the magnets in the Borgata chips are miserable...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the Borgata chips do not contain magnets. I thought they did at first too, but someone told me I was wrong. After further investigation, I agree.

The reason the chips stick together is that the inset in the center is not flush with the outside. This causes a suction cup effect. If you place 2 chips together and slide one slowly off the other, they stick exactly until the edge of one chip passes the inset of the other.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the Borgata chips do not contain magnets. I thought they did at first too, but someone told me I was wrong. After further investigation, I agree.

The reason the chips stick together is that the inset in the center is not flush with the outside. This causes a suction cup effect. If you place 2 chips together and slide one slowly off the other, they stick exactly until the edge of one chip passes the inset of the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that too until a floorperson broke one open and showed me the magnet.

scrub
Old 02-08-2005, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that too until a floorperson broke one open and showed me the magnet.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen broken chips and chips with the white part in the center removed and they do have a magnet on the inside.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:29 PM

I know that there's a metal slug inside, but I don't think it's a magnet. Actually, I have a Borgata chip right here. I can't feel any attractive force to my steel desk. Also, if they were magnets, they'd push the opposite way on other magnets when you flip them, and they don't.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:50 PM

You win, you win.