Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Exploiting a Rock image

Over the past few sessions, I have developed a Rock-like image at the local B&M where I play NL. It's surprising the things people will say about it when I sit at the table.

Mostly this image is due to the fact that nearly everyone else limps with just about any two semi connected cards and just about any two suited cards preflop. Most will then fold to a sizable raise, but generally as soon as one calls, nearly they all call.

I have found at least a couple people in this game that I know I can move off a hand. Many others in this game are mindless calling stations regardless of circumstance.

The question is, what is the best way to take advantage of my rock image? Is it better to try to put in a sizable raise into the limpers and just try to take down 5-6 limps preflop (if so, what types of hands should I do this with?), or better to try to represent something plausible on the board postflop (the problem with this is that there's such a wide variety of garbage being played, it's tough to know where everyone else is at).

Obviously there are no hard and fast rules to these questions, but I would like to hear some ideas for ways to exploit this rock image I've attained.

Thanks,
KoW
Old 02-02-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Exploiting a Rock image

Loosen up, steal more pots then as soon as they start getting wise, tighten up like the weak-tight rock that you love to be.

BTW - who's the dancer?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:19 PM

LuvDemNutz-
Thanks for the reply. What types of hands do you start loosening up to in order to steal. Any two? Only when you're first in? How about if there are a few limpers? These people will try to get in cheap with any trash they can. I've loosened to a pot sized raise with suited broadways will take it down without contest. Of course if I get called, I must assume I'm behind...So then it's about feel after the flop.

Again, I realize no hard and fast answers, just looking for general guidance and any success/failure stories.

Oh and BTW that's Lindsey Lohan. I hear she's got some big ass titties.

www.lohanfreestyle.com
Old 02-02-2005, 06:51 PM

The only way to exploit a rock image in a cash as opposed to tourney setting is indeed to steal blinds and pots from other tight players whom you read for marginal hands or having missed the flop after raising with high cards. However you should have some kind of hands with additional outs to do this precisely because they are tight players and are supposed to have a hand and might call you down anyway.

I believe in nl it's much easier to exploit a slightly loose-aggro image to get paid off bigger especially when you've been raising with backdoor draws and bottom pair and make a hand on the river.

The opposite side of this discussion, and the reason it's hard to exploit a rock image, is that the other players, even the loose ones, exploit your image by the time-honored method of GIVING NO ACTION.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:52 PM

Stay very tight up front. In late position, you can pick some spots for steal raises after several limpers (your hand isn't as important as the chance of facing a limp-reraise, but it doesn't sound like that's a problem). Just space them out so it never gets too conspicuous, and you should be able to pick up lots of limps and blinds.

Cover for this by not raising in obvious steal positions (i.e. when it's folded around to you on the button) and your rock image should stay intact.

If you do get called, you're going to have play some poker after the flop, but at least you should have position and respect.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:45 PM

Make sure you fire at flops after raising preflop, even if you completely missed. If you have QQ and raise preflop, bet at a flop with an A or a K every time.

Semi-bluff when you get the chance. Bet out when you flop a nice draw (like the nut flush draw).

Steal some pots the flop is checked to you and you are the last or second to last to act.

Regarding pure bluffs, you have to know which players you can move off a hand and which players would never fold something like an overpair. Occasionaly you can represent a hand like a set and get the opponent to lay down a big pair. The stronger players will be able to understand what hand you are representing and will tend to believe you. Against the weaker players, never try this. Do this rarely though. You can't represent a set everytime you smooth call a preflop raiser and the flop comes rags.

In certain situations you may want to raise all-in with AK preflop. They will assume AA or KK. I would only do this in the situation where a bunch of people are trying to limp even though there has been an raise by a loose EP player.

I'm not saying to do these thing a lot (then you wouldn't be so tight anymore), but mix it up. Especially the semi-bluffs/betting on the come are important. Not only can you get your opponents to fold and take some pots this way, but you can win bigger pots because they may not give the weak tighty credit for a flush if he bet the flop and it came on the turn.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:55 PM

A couple more things... Give them chances to bluff when you are actually holding what they are trying to represent on a scary board.

Once in a while raise preflop with a hand like 67s or 66, and I don't mean as a way to steal the limpers chips preflop. Just mix it up. After a while they won't put you on an overpair evertime you raise preflop, but first you will probably crush one of them with a surprise straight or flush.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:43 PM

I believe there is nothing at all wrong with the rock image. Quick question for everyone. Who has had the most overall success in the WSOP in the past 5 years??? Well the answer is Dan Harrington. He is the epitamy of a rock image. Then why has he been so successful??? I think it is because of one reason: he controls the action. Play your game. Don't just play like an ass because the people around you do. Playing like that isn't winning poker. Tight players especially need to grab one huge pot an hour. It is the only real way they get paid off. You can sit around all you want but when you play, you must win. You must make the right moves to win. Observe the play when you aren't playing. Other people's mistakes in poker are assests to you. Learn from the table. Read Doyle Brunson's "Super System". Even he says the way to beat loose players is to tighten up and vica versa. Keep the rock image because it will guarentee you pots that you would have never won without it.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:55 AM

Benhogan7-

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying but even some of the biggest clown shoes in this game listen when someone else makes a remark about my tightness in a game. I haven't been winning one big pot in an hour lately and I believe it's because of my image. Granted, there are still a few in the game that will pay me no matter what, but people are beginning to tighten against me, so I need to take some counter measures.

Thanks,
KoW
Old 02-03-2005, 11:03 AM

BluffTHIS!-

Thanks for the reply. I believe you hit the nail on the head with the "giving no action" line. Even many of the looser players in the game are beginning to do this. So it's getting into the situation where they aren't paying me off, but because they are so loose I don't feel like I could move them off a hand with any sort of consistency.

it's almost like they're playing me perfectly from a game theory perspective. Calling me down just enough to slow me the rest of the time. I'm certain these people aren't doing it on purpose... but their looser play without paying me off is inadvertantly correct against me.

KoW