Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Default 9 opponents playing suited trash

Is there some way someone can explain to me that in the long run you can get ahead by playing these guys. If you're at a lower limit and you have 9 guys playing any sooted trash, while you are selective, it seems like there's "always" someone hitting their trash flush to kill sets, straights, top two pair, etc. If I could run the numbers on how frequently someone will hit one when all 9 opponents play any two suited trash it would be interesting....
Old 02-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: 9 opponents playing suited trash

I refuse to go on tilt after these but it seems like it never ends. Regardless I refuse to start playing trash even though I'll flop TTA holding KT, then have one guy call bets all the way because he had an ace with trash and hits another ace on the river to kill my boat...

Despite not going on tilt I've been hovering around break-even over the last several thousand hands, I would say due to so many bad beats but I probably have leaks too.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:15 PM

" Regardless I refuse to start playing trash even though I'll flop TTA holding KT"

KT is trash. Watch yourself brother.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:27 PM

sounds like you have big holes not just leaks if you are playing KT
Old 02-02-2005, 03:40 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like you have big holes not just leaks if you are playing KT

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG.

The entire original post displays a fundamental misunderstanding and you're just making this thread worse by making an asinine statement.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:42 PM

Just move up in stakes to 30/60 where they respect your raises.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:58 PM

on the button or in the blinds KT against no preflop raising KT is trash? Ok but I'm sure I can find good players who disagree...
Old 02-02-2005, 04:00 PM

This whole thread is trash. How's that?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on the button or in the blinds KT against no preflop raising KT is trash? Ok but I'm sure I can find good players who disagree...

[/ QUOTE ]

I play KTs quite often, and KTo is worthy of a steal attempt from the Button/CO, IMHO.

But I'm not a good player
Old 02-02-2005, 04:36 PM

if you were up against 9 players that played any 2 s00ted from any position, and (since they're that bad) played any A, and they all called down to the river (except when they had monsters, which then, and only then, they would raise) with any part of the board...

you would probably get "sucked out on" an incredibly high percentage of the time. your stronger hands would get cracked a bunch.

and you'd still kick their butts if you played selectively, aggressively, and correctly. in fact, you could play a relatively ABC game against these bozos and clean them out, as they're predictable. you would be careful around aces and on 2 flush boards, perhaps, but you would welcome with a smile every time they hit their runner runner drawing thin, and collect big every time they missed. and against 9 chumps sure you win less frequently, but you win MORE when you do.

one of my biggest tilting problems, and it's really just as much a "i'm up too late and tired/lazy" problems is i stop hand reading, and then after a boring run of cards, a bad run of cards (good cards win little, or mediocre cards losing a lot, say), i'll get stubborn and play ABC passive postflop poker, and not pay attention when my opponents TELL me they've got me by the balls.

i'm much better at this nowadays, as in, i don't do it much anymore, but i can sense when i'm thinking that way.

keep playing, take breaks when you get frustrated, check out one of the many books on the psychology of poker (if the rest of the advice is bad, just pay attention to the psycho-analytic stuff), resist the urge to post bad beat posts, spend a night you'd otherwise have spent playing poker surfing 2+2 and watching family guy/simpsons/somethingelsehilariousbutfamiliar...

and get back to the game with a more relaxed, more critical perspective. wash/rinse/repeat... it's all a learning cycle. but you must convince yourself that all the poor playing chumps that you can't beat today are going to be your meal ticket down the road, you just need to figure out how to up your game.

good luck.