Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Good time to bluff on river?

I just started playing Omaha 8, so I'd appreciate comments on every street.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (7.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Good time to bluff on river?

I would play this hand the same way.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:36 PM

What's the Bluff?

you have the Best hand
Old 02-02-2005, 11:52 PM

well played, id play the same way 80% of the time. here's why:

preflop: you are more than likely playing for 1/2 the pot, might as well make it as big as possible. by acting last you will not eliminate any players. this is a perfect situation to raise preflop in omaha 8

flop: to scoop with this flop, you either need a 5 or runner runner to make your bd flush. this leaves you with about 5.5 outs to scoop. that being said you want as many people in for the expensive streets as possible. your move on the flop is very dependent on your image and the other players in there with you. i like betting if you have an aggressive image and everyone else at the table is passive. a better situation would be if you have a tight image and someone behind you would surely bet. in this case i would check and call. hoping to do the same on the turn and then checkraise on the river.

turn: well played

river: well played also, you missed all of your draws, your opponent probably did also. when you add in that you have been the aggressor the entire hand, betting is the play with the highest ev.

all in all i think that the only way i might have played this hand differently would be on the flop as a bet might drive out opponents that could catch a 2nd nut low etc. otherwise from that you played this one very well.

hope this helps,
johnny
Old 02-03-2005, 12:17 AM

not sure i like the turn play. If you had any high draw at all, it hit on the turn. If he raises the turn, now its expensive to draw to half the pot.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:01 PM

Not sure I understand what you mean, but I thought the turn gave me a pretty good high draw. I four outs to a wheel. 9 outs that would give me a flush. And two 2's that would give me a full house, it might make him a better full, but it might not. Obivously some or all, of those outs could be dead, but I figured they probably weren't.

With this high draw, and the nut low, shouldn't I welcome being raised on the turn? Would this raise usually mean that he has kings full? I wouldn't think so given its lowest game on party.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure I understand what you mean, but I thought the turn gave me a pretty good high draw. I four outs to a wheel. 9 outs that would give me a flush. And two 2's that would give me a full house, it might make him a better full, but it might not. Obivously some or all, of those outs could be dead, but I figured they probably weren't.

With this high draw, and the nut low, shouldn't I welcome being raised on the turn? Would this raise usually mean that he has kings full? I wouldn't think so given its lowest game on party.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a couple of flaws in your thinking.

- The 2s do not give you 2s full - if so I am missing it, it just gives you trip 2s and anyone with a K is already ahead of you.

- Your Flush is only 3rd nut, there is a great possiblity there is a higher flush out ther

- It's always dangerous to be drawing to a flush/straight on an already paired board

- Your low draw is nut, but you have Zero protection if an A or a 3 hits or if no low makes it.

- You may be getting quartered on the low anyways.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:47 PM

my bad, i misread the twos.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Your Flush is only 3rd nut, there is a great possiblity there is a higher flush out ther

- It's always dangerous to be drawing to a flush/straight on an already paired board

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads up worrying about flush size is pretty weak, especially since it's a back door flush. Also I think your opponent would let you know if he has trips or a full house on the turn. He definitely wants to charge the flush draws and low draws against him with one card to come. After he just calls your turn bet I think you can safely assume he doesn't have a king or a full house.