Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 12:35 PM

Default A LIMIT hand this interesting? Who knew?

I'm past the break in a $20 party, LHE tourney that I signed up for by mistake. Almost every decision in this hand was at least a bit difficult, so I'd love to hear your thoughts. This is from memory, so if some of the bets don't add up perfectly, forgive me.

Happily, I'm doing well with about 5400 and the blinds at 300 and 600. I'm pleased to pick up JJ in the BB. Pleased to see an MP limper, and another. My pleasure diminishes as another, and still another player limp. What now? By raising, i build a pot that I won't be able to protect with a favorable flop, and I'm out of position. Still, I figure to have the best hand and so a big pot isn't so bad a thing. Who know's, maybe I'll hit a set and have 2 or 3 weak players tied on for the ride? I raise.

MP 1 and MP 2 call. The third limper, a maniac who raises all kinds of trash, 3 bets it. The next limper, who is the second loosest player at the table, calls and now it's back to me. Crap. I'm now quite certain that I have the best hand. Reraising will put me in for a total of 2400... close to half my stack. The chance of anyone folding is close to zero. Do I want to be in that situation with JJ against 4 people? It feels very wishy washy to me, but this time I just call. Either way, this pot will be huge. If I win, I'm in very good shape no matter what. I'd like to leave myself the chance to still be in decent shape if I lose however.

The flop is pretty nice, but ominous. 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I bet out, the first two limpers fold. The preflop re-raiser raises, is called, and I three bet it. If someone has the nuts, god bless their little hearts, but the alacrity of the betting tells me it ain't so. The preflop Re-raiser caps it, call, call. Turn card is a black 9. PFRR goes all in for 81 chips. Next man calls... now what? Dude is not folding to a raise, and I'm not giving him bad odds to any kind of draw by raising. However, I will be setting myself up to be on the respirator if I loose the hand. The extra 1200 won't mean that much to me if I win, but will mean a hell of a lot if I lose, so I just call. The river is the is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The remaiing, live player bets and I make my easiest decision so far and call. He shows 5-3 off for the straight. Oh well. How poorly did I play this one?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: A LIMIT hand this interesting? Who knew?

i think you played it right. you cant really consider it a failure since you got 53(!) to put in so much money before the flop. maybe just call down after the one guy is all in. i dont see much else you can do here.