Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Advice for moving up for a part time player

Ok, so my story...

Part-time player. After a year or so of profitable limit, I decided to give tournaments a try. I average playing about one single table tournament a day.

Now playing 10+1's and have what are probably unsustainable numbers due to short sample size. After 30 tournaments this year I am 60% ITM and 88% ROI.

My question is how long should I hang on at 10+1? Another 70 tournaments? When is this sample size enough that I should feel comfortable I'm ready? Keeping in mind that I average one a day?

I have the bankroll, ie 30 Buy Ins, so not a problem.

All thoughts appreciated.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Advice for moving up for a part time player

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so my story...

Part-time player. After a year or so of profitable limit, I decided to give tournaments a try. I average playing about one single table tournament a day.

Now playing 10+1's and have what are probably unsustainable numbers due to short sample size. After 30 tournaments this year I am 60% ITM and 88% ROI.

My question is how long should I hang on at 10+1? Another 70 tournaments? When is this sample size enough that I should feel comfortable I'm ready? Keeping in mind that I average one a day?

I have the bankroll, ie 30 Buy Ins, so not a problem.

All thoughts appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the bankroll for 30 buy-ins at $10? Or $20?

If you think you're beating the games just fine, and have the bankroll for $20, go ahead and move up. If you're waiting for an adequate sample size, you need to play 300 or so.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:12 PM

If you have the bankroll and you feel comfortable, just move up. Have a plan to move back down if your BR drops below a certain level like 20 buyins.

You aren't playing with the mortgage money, so life's too short to worry about sample sizes if you are playing for fun.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:17 PM

there's not much difference between 10+1 and 30+3. if you're a winning player at 10+1 (35%+ roi), you will also be one at 30+3.

just move to the lvl your bankroll dictates.