Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Default JJ in SB vs. BB

10/20 NL - I have 2k in chips and BB has me covered. It's folded to me in the SB and I open for 60 with JsJd. The BB calls. I have never played with him before...no read on this player.
a. The flop is 4h 9h 10c with 2 hearts. I bet 100 - The BB calls.
b. Turn - 4d. I check. The BB bets 300 and I call.
c. River - 8c. I check. The BB bets 600 and I call.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: JJ in SB vs. BB

I think the flop bet is good and I would definately put more pressure on him on the turn. I'm not sure why you check/called there. With the way you played the turn I would have check/called the river as well. As I see it there's a good chance you won the hand, but him having QJ is probable .. I definatly feel the turn is a good betting or check/raising situation. Hopw you won though.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 12:11 PM

yeah agree he probably had AT or something, you ave to check raise the turn IMO (im not that experienced so I may be wrong), hope u won this hand..

-anto
Old 02-02-2005, 01:19 PM

Please explain the check on the turn.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain the check on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered that if I bet the turn and was raised, I would probably have to fold. That was my rationale for checking at the time.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:39 PM

why would you have to fold? He could very easily raise the turn w/ A10 or even less. I would have led the turn again.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:59 PM

on the river your hand/position is very weak (what are you beating?), also he has given no real information about his holding and you have basically declared yours out loud.

i think the way you play the turn puts you into a horrible river decision, find out where youre at on the turn with by leading again or check raising, whatever line you wish to take, but dont just check call the turn and river
Old 02-02-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would you have to fold? He could very easily raise the turn w/ A10 or even less. I would have led the turn again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think a decent player raises here with A 10 or less on the turn? I had not played with this player before, so I would probably opt to give him more respect than that.
This is a 10/20 NL game; I would expect a typical player to be pretty good.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:16 PM

"[ QUOTE ]
on the river your hand/position is very weak (what are you beating?), also he has given no real information about his holding and you have basically declared yours out loud."

I'll raise with almost anything heads up in the blinds. Esp. with a new player in a game I normally start off playing aggresively. Maybe this guy thought I had annonced my hand out loud though.

"i think the way you play the turn puts you into a horrible river decision, find out where youre at on the turn with by leading again or check raising, whatever line you wish to take, but dont just check call the turn and river"

I didn't feel to well about the way I played the hand, which is why I wanted to post it and see how others might play it.

So far, I have seen several players advocate check-raising the turn, or leading out on the turn.

1 As the hand was played I could have check-raised the turn. How much would you raise? If he calls, then what. If he raises, then what?

2. If I decide to lead out, one person suggested that I could call a raise. What's the play if I'm raised the pot or all in on the turn?
3. Say he smooth calls me on the turn after I lead out. The river is the same. Now what?

4. After thinking about the hand more, I think the play would have been to lead out on the turn, and fold to a raise. What could I be beating here?
If there wasn't a raise on the turn but I was called, I would probably check the river, and call a reasonable sized bet.
Does anyone like this line?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Results

The villain had 6d 4s, for trips, which beat my Jacks over
fours.

I'm still not sure I learned much about how I played it, although I think the line of leading on the turn would have been the best play, given the texture of the board.
Thanks for your responses.