Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Strange bet sizes online.

E.g. blinds are 50/100, you have typically been raising 3 BB, and now you raise to 311.
I often do this. I decide to do it in advance, i.e. I think "next hand that I raise, I am making it a strange amount".
This way, the strange bet actually represents nothing, but hopefully my opponents will read something into it. It will also hopefully confuse them, and they will think about what my bet means, rather than the hand in general. It also gets me noticed, and might lead people to perceive me as a maniac. And it is funn.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Strange bet sizes online.

I make strange bets because I have trouble working that little slide.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:25 AM

no the strange bets are this: blinds are 10/20 it is raised UTG to 75 and then MP reraises to 150 and button and UTG call. the flop comes and UTG checks, MP bets out 200 and the button folds, UTG calls. Now there is 880 in the pot and on the turn UTG min bets 20$. i mean wtf is that? i just saw this and it made me lol. turns out he had Ace high and i guess was trying to bluff, who knows but i see goofy bets online all the time.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:53 AM

How bout this one. Was watching a friend play a tourney. Not new to the game, but we've had discussions on 72o being equal to AA. You know the arguement "any hand can win."

So I'm watching my friend in a 10+1 tourney. Blinds are 25-50 and he still has about 1500T. UTG and UTG+1 limp and he limps behind. Button raises to 200. SB, BB UTG & UTG+1 fold. Play comes back to my friend and he raises 50 to make it 250. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Button goes all-in and my friend calls. Friend has QQ and Button KK.

Was absouletly hilarious. Afterwards I asked him what he was thinking, and he said he didn't know. Then I had to explain to him the reasons behind raising AND it took him awhile to understand the concept that the less people in the hand the better chance you have of winning. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Great Stuff
Old 02-02-2005, 01:56 PM

strange odd bet sizes normally creates "large" stacks to be pushed forward so 389 represents a larger visual then 400.... big stack can intimidate lol......
Old 02-02-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds are 25-50 and he still has about 1500T. UTG and UTG+1 limp and he limps behind. Button raises to 200. SB, BB UTG & UTG+1 fold. Play comes back to my friend and he raises 50 to make it 250.

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless I am misunderstanding, this is against the rules. The previous raise was 150, so he can raise to a minimum of 350.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:35 PM

same here... the few times I play NL online, I usually just sorta click somewhere on the slider and bet whatever amount it lands on

(can you tell already that I suck at NL? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 02-02-2005, 08:17 PM

Ah, the min-bet "bluff" on the river. One of my favorite online tourney donkey plays.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, the min-bet "bluff" on the river. One of my favorite online tourney donkey plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, yes.... I love this play against aggressive opponents. When I do it, I generally have the nuts. 90% of the time, players that would have folded to a decent-sized bet see my weak "bluff" attempt and raise a hefty amount. I grin as I rake in the chips. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 09:44 PM

Haha...actually I was referring to the tendency of bad players to make a min-bet on the river when they missed their draw. I can almost see the wheels turning in their tiny brains when they do it..."Well, i missed my flush...but I think I can bluff him out...but I don't want to risk too much!!!"