Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 05:21 AM

Default Pocket 10s in CO on the bubble. Do you make this call?

Just out of the money and I get pocket tens. Blinds are 200/400 and I have t5300.

I'm in CO and bet 1200. All fold to the BB and large stack with over t11000. He bets all in. He's bullied a few other players with large raises. I think he's drawing and trying to buy the pot and scare me off. This is only a $5 buy-in $1,000 guaranteed Empire tourney. Only decent money is in the top 3 spots. Top 30 get paid.

Do you make this call?

Results later.

Iggy
Old 02-02-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Pocket 10s in CO on the bubble. Do you make this call?

Yes, I call (but I'm not happy about it). Your raise in the CO looks like the standard blind steal for bubble play. Your read on BB makes the call even easier.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:34 AM

Call...you'll be surprised at how often you're ahead here. He'll probably show Ax/KQ/etc because he thinks you're stealing. There's no need to play conservative here. You need to build your stack before the money cutoff. With only a $5 buy-in and no real money until top 3...I call this 93.7% of the time. Hope it worked out.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:35 AM

I'm betting it didn't work out! After all, he posted it. lol.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:37 AM

"I'm betting it didn't work out!"

I agree...or he folded and got pissed when villain flashed 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I still insta-call with this setup/tourney scenario.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:24 AM

duh! Of course it didn't work out.

I actually considered smooth calling this hand pf, or even throwing it away in order to wait until I made the money, because it always seems like play loosens up after the dead money is eliminated. I had plenty of chips and I knew I could be facing an overbet.

Well as it happens, my read was correct. The BB had A9o and hit his ace on the river.

Incidently, do you think an all-in by me would have made a difference. IOW, do you think that the big stack would have been more inclined to lay down his average ace to a bigger bet?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
duh! Of course it didn't work out.

I actually considered smooth calling this hand pf, or even throwing it away in order to wait until I made the money, because it always seems like play loosens up after the dead money is eliminated. I had plenty of chips and I knew I could be facing an overbet.

Well as it happens, my read was correct. The BB had A9o and hit his ace on the river.

Incidently, do you think an all-in by me would have made a difference. IOW, do you think that the big stack would have been more inclined to lay down his average ace to a bigger bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, going all-in would have probably gotten him to lay down his hand AND THAT WOULD BE BAD! Stop thinking this way. That's being results oriented and that won't get you anywhere. Your read was correct, you played it perfectly, you lost. It happens.
Trying to get A9 to lay down so your pocket 10's can scoop a measley t600 instead of doubling up is bad poker. Well played...sorry it didn't work out for you.

Pep.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:44 AM

He may have a hand but more than likely you're ahead here. Big stacks will make this move on the bubble with a small pair trying to get you to fold over cards. It is possible for him to also be on overs in which case if you're willing to race then call.

Either way I'm not looking to lay down TT's here to a big stack who has been bullying and is offering me an opportunity to double up. If he truly has a monster so be it but if you fold here you are now left with 10x BB and loooking to push or fold anyway.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:53 AM

Don't get results oriented. You made the correct read and the right play. He gave you a chance to double up as a 3-1 favorite. What more could you ask for? He's probably been pretty lucky thus far and that's the reason he has a big stack. Better luck next time.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Considering an all in

"do you think an all-in by me would have made a difference?"

It would have made an incredible difference. He would not have risked that much with A9, because he wouldn't have thought you were stealing in the first place. The problem is that if you go all-in, you may get the blinds, but you will ONLY be called by hands that can beat you. You played it fine.