Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 05:18 AM

Default Get to work, Fraulein

You cannot make this stuff up. You simply cannot.

Kurt Vonnegut would be jealous of this brilliant commentary on modern bureaucracy, if it were fiction.

German woman must become whore or lose benefits

natedogg
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Get to work, Fraulein

Wow. It is about time someone got the laws right. LMAO
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 AM

Surely this can't be true. I mean... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2005, 11:54 AM

I think the problem was that the job was advertised as a "waitress" position. And the law says that if you turn down a legit job your benefits will go down.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:03 PM

It says that you can't turn down any job. It isn't the way it was listed either, as it says that the current laws don't find any moral grounds to turn down sex work.

Cody
Old 02-02-2005, 12:07 PM

I din't read this article very well, but I belive from other sources that the problem was that it was listed as a waitress job. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely this can't be true. I mean... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should it not be true? Why does it take something like this for people to see the inherent problems with a welfare state? Why is it that people don't see that taking benefits necessarily entails giving up freedom?

I have heard that this story may not be quite accurate, but if true it illustrates the problems with welfare very well. People want both the ability to force people to take care of them and then also expect that they will not have to demean themselves to support themselves. The answer is very simple. If you don't want the government to dictate terms to you, don't take governemnt money. If you don't want people to be demeaned by bureaucrats and apparatchiks, get rid of crappy government programs. Very simple.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:58 PM

What government money is she taking?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What government money is she taking?

[/ QUOTE ]

The article talks explicitly about her unemployment benefits. And implies she has been on the dole more than a year. How is this not government money?
Old 02-03-2005, 03:55 AM

Default YMCA

...Man, I can't wait for the thread where this happens to an unemployed man and a gay nude bar asking him to report for work! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

OK, maybe we should put things straight...

1. Prostitution, and any other job in the so-called "sex industry", is NOT "like any other job", as the laws in Germany seemingly have it. Selling sex is NOT the same as selling anything else. (I find this trivial to explain but apparently someone in Germany does not.)

2. Taking out the "social stigma" from prostitution is a GOOD THING. This is not the same as advocating prostitution or subsidizing prostitution. (This too, I find this trivial to explain.)

3. Unemployment benefits are generally a "good thing" -- this is where it gets political. I know that people do not agree if those benefits are doing any good or not. But let's accept, for this argument's sake, that unemployment benefits are not the issue here and that, since the benefits already exist, we wanna see how they should be handed out in the case in point.

4. Rejecting a job in the sex industry is not like rejecting any other job (see 1 above). A person should be able to accept or reject a job on personal preferences if the job is in any way classified as special - and the sex industry jobs should be, in that respect, classsified as special, without any kind of stigma resulting from that fact (see 2 above).
[Note The problem with such misguided and run-away political correctness is the desire to be uniform and equal. The Left has always had a problem dealing with the personal and the different; they frustrate the social engineering formulas!]

5. So a woman rejecting a job in the German sex industry should be able to continue receiving unemployment benefits, since the objective of such benefits is (should be) to help the unemployed along (see 3 above), and not force them into jobs like the sex industry's.