Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Limp....reraise

Just curious what everyone thoughts are on limp reraising substantially with big slick. I have been doing it recently with moderate success. I usually only do this move when UTG or UTG + 1. I haven't read too much in the books about this move with AK, but I like taking a different line every now and then. Just wondering what you guys think.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Limp....reraise

cliche
Old 02-02-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cliche

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the quality input.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 AM

I find it annoying with AK. Often, you will get called and will be out of position with only a 25% chance of hitting an A or K.

I think the play is very profitable with AA or KK at an aggressive table, but AK is, in my opinions, too vulnerable a hand to be playing a large pot out of position with.

If the re-raise is allin, then this takes care of many problems and is a solid play. But the situation must be appropriate.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 AM

So do you think this strategy might be a good idea in the latter stages of a tournie, when I would just rereaise all-in on a raise? What about a good sized reraise in the early stages of a tournie. Say for example, tables stackes about 1500, limp for 30, raise in late position to 120, reraise to 350. Bad play?
Old 02-02-2005, 01:13 AM

You got it. I feel the play is definitely much more effective later in a tournament.

In the beginning, believe me, it is very easy (with the small blinds) to get too cute with AK and lose a large chunk of change.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 AM

Late in tournaments a limp from UTG is going to look very suspicious. If you do get a get a raise, I'd be surprised and expect to see something very good.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:28 AM

I think it can be a good move when your stack size is about right to put in a reraise that will make hands like JJ, TT, 99 and even QQ think about folding. If they call it's okay too because the ante and blind money compensates for the slight advantage these hands have. For example, if the blinds are 200-400 with a 50 ante, a middle position player with JJ might make it 1200 or 1600 to go. If you have an additional four or five thousand to reraise on top of his raise, he's really going to have a tough call since he has to fear that you limped with AA or KK (a more common play than limping with AK). Note that I usually don't use this play when my chips are very deep or very shallow. If they are deep, you put yourself in a bad situation when you get called and then miss the flop. It's also very bad when the money is deep enough that they can pop you back and force you to fold preflop. When you are short, it's often much better to just push and hope to win the pot.