Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Paradise 25$ NL hand

Table is pretty much the perfect set up for a TAG player. Too many people call raises pre-flop, but only continue with top pair, and take it too far with that.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) converter

UTG ($15.65)
UTG+1 ($14.75)
MP1 ($14.50)
MP2 ($22.93)
CO ($23.70)
Button ($26.45)
SB ($21.70)
Hero ($28.40)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6c, 5c. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 raises to $1, CO calls $1, 1 fold, SB (poster) calls $0.90, Hero calls $0.75, UTG+1 calls $0.75, MP1 calls $0.75.

Flop: ($6) 7c, 4c, Js (6 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $3, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $8

What do you think the right play is here.
My thinking was AJ, didnt want to give anyone a cheap draw.
The only hands that really put me in trouble are two over clubs, based on previous play, I really only thought KJ or AJ were possible. Even in these cases, I am only a 2-1 dog.
So, with a push, the pot is paying me 31/17 so I push.

Is this too aggressive against weak oponents? In a standard game, I push every time, but is the risk/reward ratio right against weak players, when I know I will be presented with much easier decisions later?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Paradise 25$ NL hand

If people will pay off with their whole stack when obvious draws hit then just check/call the flop.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:42 PM

You have a monster draw. Even if he has AJ or even aces you're a slight favorite to win. When he raised, pushing was definitly the correct move. You want to get as much money in on the flop as possible.

Although, I'm not sure I like you betting out on the flop. The reason is if you just get called and blank comes on the turn, then youre in a tough spot. A good move here is to checkraise all-in on the flop.

Also, soah's line is good too, and it's actually one that I usually take against weak opponents who way underbet the pot and then pay off their stacks when I hit. So if villain in the hand is weak like that, then check-calling is good too.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:00 PM

BB on the 25 NL tables on Paradise is .25 and SB is .10 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2005, 03:11 PM

Yeah, i dont know why it said that? Maybe I copied something wrong. Only the heading is wrong, rest of numbers are correct.

Thanks for the input, I never really thought about the check raise on the flop, 2 reasons.
First, the table was overly tight post flop, I thought a 3$ bet stood a pretty good chance of winning the pot uncontested. Second, I knew that no one would put me on a draw, giving me more ammo if an overcard fell on the turn or river to fire my second bullet.

Earlier in the session, I led out on the flop with AKs, when I flopped a 4 flush, and had someone lay down a pair of Jacks when a Qh fell on the turn. So it was that type of table.

I do think that the check-raise push is a good play here though.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:10 PM

No I disagree with a c/r. I think you disguise your hand best by betting out. I think the way you played it is fine IMO. You have a decent pot built when you push, but you still have fold equity, and you are probably the statistical favorite if he does call. Even if he calls and you lose your table image will be great for your TAG style. 25NL players don't understand that pushing with the double draw is not maniacal.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:30 PM

The more I think about it, the more I agree that the CR push may not be the best move here. It is reducing the hand to the lowest common denominator, and is definitely EV, but not maximum EV.

Here is why (IMO)
You either win a decent pot at the outset, or give yourself one way to win a very large pot. Definitely profitable, but doesn't take advantage of the fact that you are a better player than your opponent.

By betting out, you add a ton of layers to the hand. Now your skill can come into play.
If the straight hits, you most likely still getting plenty of action.

You can check a made flush hoping to induce a bluff.

You can bluff into any overcard, hoping to get your oponent to lay down a pair of jacks. Or bluff into a blank, as many oponents can not withstand the second bullet with JT or JQ.

If they play back into your raise, you have to push, you know they are committed and you might as well get the money in now.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:40 PM

there are downsides too such as if the board pairs, you are now scared to get the money in, you miss the opportunity to drive out a higher flush draw on the flop, etc...

I think its close.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:25 PM

if your read on the itghtness of the table is correct, a check-raise would not have worked on flop. You have a good draw, but that is it, you have a good draw. Your bet on the flop seemed nice, principally because it could take the pot right there without need to fill your hand.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can check a made flush hoping to induce a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you can't. You have to protect your hand if you hit on the turn.

The key question is whether or not people will pay when you hit. Whether or not you hit is not determined by your play, but by the cards. So if you are not going to hit, you want as little going into the pot as possible. If you are going to hit, you want as much. Since you don't know, you take the highest EV route. If the money won't go in once the draw hits, then you need to get it in when there is a good chance of it hitting, but before it does so. If he will pay you off even after it hits, then you shouldn't bet before it does so, since any money that you have left in your stack at the river may be saved if you miss your draw. This is ignoring folding equity, but I have decided that folding equity at NL25 = 0.