Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 02:07 AM

Default was there an opportunity to get overcalls anywhere?

After the hand ended, somebody told me I had raised him out of the pot. Standard play, or do you seek overcalls anywhere? Also, please evaluate my river play.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (11.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (11.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (20.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 24.70 BB
Old 02-01-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Re: was there an opportunity to get overcalls anywhere?

I think you played perfect. The pot was simply enormous, and apparently MP3 had a pretty good hand, so you definitely put in those raises. Any bets you *MIGHT* have gained by letting MP1 in more cheaply would not have made up for the action lost to MP3. Like if you just called the turn, maybe MP1 calls, but MP3 wouldn't have the opportunity to cap. Besides, in this big a pot, you don't even know MP1 would fold after you 3-bet the turn; he raised the flop afterall.

You played fine, f an overcall.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:27 AM

Anyone else re-raise the river, or are we sure MP3 has JJ?

Forget the overcalls. The guy was just mad becasue he had to throw away AK.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:02 AM

I don't know about an overcall, but after it goes raise and 3-bet on the flop, you should consider calling and check-raising the turn. It's highly likely that the turn will be bet, and this will give you a chance to protect your hand a bit.

As for the river, bad bet. I mean, what do you put MP3 on? Let's review. He has a hand worthy of a preflop 3-bet. Typically, that's AA-TT, AK, AQ, stuff like that. Now he 3-bets a JT8 flop. probably JJ, AA, maybe AKs in diamonds. Less likely, KK, QQ. Distant trailer, AK.

Now he caps a turn blank. This should clue you in. The only hand he can have is JJ.

Now an 8 hits, changing nothing. Why bet? Your opponent has screamed at the top of his lungs I HAVE JACKS FULL! but you don't listen. Do you really think he 3-bet with 55 or Q9? Not likely.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 02-01-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else re-raise the river, or are we sure MP3 has JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraise?! I'd fold my fullhouse first. Put it this way, if he doesn't have jacks, what does he have?

Good luck.
Eric
Old 02-01-2005, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about an overcall, but after it goes raise and 3-bet on the flop, you should consider calling and check-raising the turn. It's highly likely that the turn will be bet, and this will give you a chance to protect your hand a bit.

As for the river, bad bet. I mean, what do you put MP3 on? Let's review. He has a hand worthy of a preflop 3-bet. Typically, that's AA-TT, AK, AQ, stuff like that. Now he 3-bets a JT8 flop. probably JJ, AA, maybe AKs in diamonds. Less likely, KK, QQ. Distant trailer, AK.

Now he caps a turn blank. This should clue you in. The only hand he can have is JJ.

Now an 8 hits, changing nothing. Why bet? Your opponent has screamed at the top of his lungs I HAVE JACKS FULL! but you don't listen. Do you really think he 3-bet with 55 or Q9? Not likely.

Good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric,

MP1 3-bet preflop. MP3 called two cold.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Result

He turns over T8o and MHIG. Very odd hand.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:28 AM

I probably c/r the river against an unknown because

1) I don't want to face a cap
2) I'd rather the river go 2 or 3 bets not 1 or 2
3) I generally assume unknowns are retarded until proven otherwise.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 AM

I'm kind of torn on the 5th street bet. I guess I can see how re-raising should be out of the question, but I'm not sure I agree that going into 5th street I should automatically put the villain on a set of jacks. Yes, the action on 4th street was hot &amp; heavy, but many on party would play an overpair like AA-QQ this way also. (I certainly would).
Old 02-01-2005, 01:55 PM

Two pair, which is what my small set ran into in a similar situation last night where a player behind me raised me all the way down.

I check/called for what it's worse, but people will play two pair that hard.