Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2005, 11:52 PM

Default High Roller movie, anyone watch?

What did you guys think? I thought the acting in the beginning was pretty bad (Michael I. was good as Stuey), but overall the movie was ok. I was kind of expecting it to be better than it was, but all in all it wasn't too bad.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: High Roller movie, anyone watch?

It was ok...nothing spectacular. It had a little of everything...a little Stu Unger, a little Vince Van Patten, a little Mr. Miagi.

Glad it was on Starz though because it definitely wasn't something I'd pay $9.25 to see in a theatre.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:23 AM

I don't how factually acurate it really was but I thought it was a good movie. It was a little light on his drug abuse and "action" addiction but overall enjoyable.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:24 AM

Well, it's obvious why nobody would distribute it to theaters. All in all, the quality of a made for TV movie. I did enjoy it though.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:04 AM

It was ok at best. You think a movie about one of the greatest tournament players of all time would have more than one complete hand played in the whole movie. Who besides poker players would even be interested in such a flick. Could someone please make a movie or even televise a tournament that tracks the flow of an actual game.
Actually, Fox sports broadcast of the live tournament at foxwoods(?) did do this and it was a real treat. It was much better than the cut and paste of all the other poker tourneys which have been shown on tv. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 07:46 AM

I thought it was a decent movie, although I think they could have cast Stu's role a little better. Michael doesn't look a thing like Stu. Also was Stu a hardcore italian?

Pretty good watch altogether. I think they did go pretty soft on his drug problem and major gambling addiction though.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:11 AM

I only caught the end but doubt ill watch the rest due to the A335 board A4 vs A6 and the coment "he can only win with a 2 here!". Making us think hes eliminated unless he catches a 2. Thats a pretty big oversight. BTW go dawgs...
Old 01-31-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I only caught the end but doubt ill watch the rest due to the A335 board A4 vs A6 and the coment "he can only win with a 2 here!".

[/ QUOTE ]

They actually said that he can only win with a two or a four, which was true, right? I don't get it.

I thought the movie was pretty horrendous. It had the mood of a B action movie. Christopher Moltisanti was pretty good, though I don't know if this was even how Stuey acted. But how could they make a movie like this and pretty much ignore everything that made him intriguing? Where are all of the people that took advantage of him when he was down and out? Where was the over the top cocaine and gambling addiction? Where was his son who committed suicide? It never even aknowledged he had a son. Sure it showed him losing some money, but it never really went into his psyche (what made him such a good player, why he always f--cked up his life). I was disappointed.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I only caught the end but doubt ill watch the rest due to the A335 board A4 vs A6 and the coment "he can only win with a 2 here!".

[/ QUOTE ]

They actually said that he can only win with a two or a four, which was true, right? I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

He will split the pot with a lot of cards though, and it seems by the first poster that they gave the impression that he would be eliminated if he didn't catch his card(s).

Note: I haven't seen the movie and I have no idea what they really said or implied.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:44 AM

Stu had no son . He took care of his wifes son ,not his . His step son was a drug addict and compulsive gambler also so Stu would not help him out . Why I believe he killed himself . All this info was read years ago by me I believe , but believe to be accurate .