Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Flopped boat, then set on board, now what?

I was just finishing my first orbit when this hand appeared. How should I have played the hand?
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, BB calls.

River: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 01-28-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Flopped boat, then set on board, now what?

Argh ... bet the flop already. You have position and 99.9 percent of micro players will call you here. They're not going to give you credit for a 7, much less 44. If anyone with a 7 is getting cute, you're going to make them pay.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:47 PM

I would have bet out on the flop. Perhaps early in position I might check, hoping to c/r a trapped field. That turn card was terrible for you. Pretty much any pocket pair now beats you, and it looks like that's what BB is playing. Turn and river, I would have played the same. I'd like somebody else's opinion though, I attribute too much to opponents' play.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:51 PM

I don't think I check from EP on this flop either. Again, 99.9 percent of micro players won't give him credit for a 7 (He's a fool not to slow play it!), and 44 isn't crossing their mind at all.

Now, if I bet the flop and there's action afterward, a turn C/R might be in order. But I don't think the flop is the place to get cute here and risk having it checked around when so many people are willing to toss a chip in.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Loc: Folsom Prison, Cellblock K

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where they should send everyone that flops a boat and does not bet in LP. You can't make money if they don't get a chance to call you!
Old 01-29-2005, 01:39 AM

have we added a slowplaying section to the FAQ yet??? ppl bet your hands
Old 01-29-2005, 01:47 AM

I've debated the same thing over with myself, and I still can't decide. I've come to rely on micro players betting out in late position, regardless of what they have. I know it's a bad idea, especially when I move to higher limits, but it seems to work well. I wish I had something other than anecdotal evidence, actual BB won in each strategy, but it seems to work for me.

Sorry, I meant to specify, I'll usually only slowplay boats if I've got top over bottom in EP.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:50 AM

Next time, bet the hands that win you money. Wow.

To clarify, there are times to slowplay. This is really far from being one of those times on the flop.