Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Defeated by 1/2 - whining etc

After 17k hands at 1/2 full and a winrate of (0.35) I have finally accepted that I am not playing well enough to beat the game. Even if my true winrate is >0 it's probably very small.

The downswings I suffered were intense but from what I understand the smaller your true winrate the greater the swings.

Where should I go now? I want to find out what I'm doing wrong but am not sure where to start looking. I post most of the hands I have trouble with but I am probably misplaying loads of hands that I don't realise.

Also should I move down to 0.50/1 or give 1/2 6-max a shot, how much softer are the shorthanded games? I play mostly 11am to 5pm EST if that changes anything. Bankroll is not an issue.

To anyone who has read a number of my posts do you see any major problems or incorrect thinking?

Thanks for any replies. I know this is a pretty crappy thread.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Defeated by 1/2 - whining etc

I'm not familiar enough with your plays and posts so don't really know what to say other than best of luck in however you decide to proceed. I'd add the obligatory "keep positing and learning" but you expected that.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:29 PM

I found your posts helpful. I did notice that you seemed a bit more aggressive than some of the others, but I certainly have not read all your posts =)
Old 01-28-2005, 09:49 PM

Wario if it makes a difference I am/was in the same situation as you. At 1/2 over 15k hands I am down (0.4BB/100) whereas moving up from 50/1 with 20k hands I am a 3.0+BB/100 winning player. Whats crazy is I have incredible downswings, and small upswings, sometimes I just jump on and sit there losing from the get-go.

I then dropped back to 50/1 (yesterday) and made 100BB in 500 hands? I have no idea what it is about my game that makes me lose at 1/2 but i've now accepted I have no idea why I'm a losing player at 1/2, and I doubt I ever will so I've decided to 16 table 50/1.

Thinking about trying 2/4 also...heard it's a lot like 50/1
Old 01-28-2005, 10:14 PM

If you agree that the game is beatable and you're not in the game as your sole sustenance, or even required supplementary income, then why not stay in 1/2? Just because it's been beating you doesn't mean it's unbeatable. I guess my thing is, getting to 3/6 and winning at it has been a goal of mine for some time now. I try to treat every instance of a bad beat as a lesson I had to pay for. As it happens, my 200BB downswing over 3 days occurred simultaneously with my clearing 280 bux. That just means I got a ~2500 hand lesson, and I made 80 bucks at it. Yeah, it's frustrating that my not-so-stellar BB/100 went to virtually zero. And yeah, it's especially frustrating that instead of making 280 bucks with break-even poker, I made 80 bucks with substandard play and cards, but it's about the most fortuitous time I would want for a bad streak to happen. You're hopefully making money in bonuses to offset those losses, albeit not much. If you're making a good effort to improve, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're not, then I'd drop down because you're going to make the most money with the least effort back where you were.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play mostly 11am to 5pm EST if that changes anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your problem, the 1/2 game is terrible during the day.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i 2nd this. Wario, i have followed some of your posts and i'm also playing 1/2 full exclusively now; i think you should be good enough to beat it. Buddy up with a poster here, have them look at your hands, examine yourself as well. and for goodness sakes, pick a better time slot to play. I don't think you could've picked a worse one.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its not a problem per se. learning to beat this game is worthwhile. i played half my 19K 1/2 games during this time.

> 0 winrate is something in itself.. but it is a grind and unsatisfying.

if you need a change of pace, try the 6-max. don't drop down though. there's no need unless you are losing $$. you are likely learning plenty at 1/2.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:00 AM

What are your .5/1 stats like?

I simply pwned the [censored] out of .5/1 and did reasonably well at 1/2, before running into a wall at 2/4 (20,000 hands, 0.3 winrate). So I wouldn't look to 2/4 for your answer.

If you have to play in the daytime, try the 1/2 6max. Or keep playing .5/1 for a while longer.

Or just play in the evenings; it's better.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:28 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

1/2 6-max is real good. More fun too.