Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Analysis of AA heads up

I feel I did everything right on this hand. Would anyone have done anything differently?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB
Old 01-28-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Results of Hand

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has As Ad (two pair, aces and fours).
Button doesn't show.
SB has 8h Ah (flush, ace high).
Outcome: SB wins 17.50 BB. </font>
Old 01-28-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Analysis of AA heads up

Cap preflop.

Call down after he check raises you on the turn.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:17 PM

I'm not so sure that I keep three-betting the flop and turn.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:21 PM

My thoughts: This is head-up. The chances of him having two hearts seemed negligible. Especially on a reraise preflop. Seemed more like a pair.

When a fourth heart came, that's when I simply called.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:22 PM

Cap the flop, call down after the check-raise.

Don't post the results so soon...it ruins the fun!

Had to edit, accidentally said river instead of flop [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel I did everything right on this hand. Would anyone have done anything differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would start by capping pre-flop.

And then at some point I'd start giving the guy credit for a real hand -- what is a reasonable assumption of the range of hands someone 3-bets from out of position against an UTG raiser?

You've got to start thinking about a flopped flush or JJ or TT for a flopped set. Whether you start thinking that after he caps the flop, or after he raises the turn, I don't know, but the turn play is chip spewing. I probably prefer to simply call the flop raise and then check-raise the turn, folding to a 3-bet. EDIT: I cross-posted with a bunch of folks - I also messed up the turn order so a check-raise isn't possible on the turn.

Don't fall in love with AA just because its the best hand pre-flop -- it is frequently not the best hand after the flop or turn. You played this as if you never even considered what this guy could be holding until the 4th heart fell on the river.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:29 PM

Pre-Flop -- Cap the betting, Easy decision every time.

Flop. Here's where the trouble begins. It's a scary flop, if anyone has two hearts,you're dead, and someone surely has at least 1 heart, giving you concern. I don't mind the first bet, but once SB raises, I think you're you have to slow down, and check through to the river.

Turn. I'd check/call.

River. You're almost surely beat here, but with 16.5 - 1 pot odds after SB bets, I think you have to call.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:36 PM

Cap PF.
Call the c/r on the flop, raise the turn when he leads, call a 3-bet. If he doesn't lead, bet and call a c/r.
Call the river.

This is way-ahead, way-behind. Any lone heart -- and I mean ANY lone heart, isn't folding here. He 3-bet pf, so he's likely got AK/AQs/AA/KK/QQ/JJ/TT. You're ahead of not many with few outs (one A and possibly the runner runner boat), so you want to see a showdown, so get there relatively cheaply. You're in position, so there's no risk of giving A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J/T a free card on the turn.

-d
Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Cap preflop.

Flop is fine. The three bet is aggressive, but I guess we can't start cowering in a corner just because the board is scarier than all hell.

After the checkraise on the turn I am slowing down and calling.

River is a terrible card, so many different hands he could have that beat you. But I make a sanity call here and hope he over played black queens or kings.