Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2005, 10:52 PM

Default HU vs. Gonores, volume 2

Here it is, the 2nd match with all of our adjustments and commentary. Some of the numbering is screwed up, sorry in advance.

1) A2o, I raise he folds.

2) AJh. He raises, I three bet, he calls.
*** FLOP *** [Tc 5s 3s]
I bet, he raises, I call.
Turn, 7s. I check-fold. Ok, that gives him more draws if I was ahead, and completes 2 of the draws that were there on the flop. He might be posturing because of all the talk on the forum, I’m gonna pick my spots for a little while.

G – Yup, posturing. I just had 69o, no spades

3) 3d5h. I raise, he calls.

*** FLOP *** [2h 4h Kh]
He check-raises, I call.
TURN Ad. Betting is capped.
River 9c, bet, raise call.
He wins with 86h. Not much I can do here I think, aside from folding preflop. I’m still testing the waters to see if he can brings himself to defend more. He’s up 3.44 to 2.56.

4)I have J5o. He raises, I call. I’m not going to let the roles be reversed if that’s his plan.

*** FLOP *** [3d 9h Qc] Check, check?
Turn is a 5. check, I call grudgingly, thinking he might have some gay slowplay in action.

River is a 2, check call. I beat 45o. Not sure why he checked the flop.

G - In yesterday’s writeup, I talked about how I buy pots like this one by checking flops after being the last aggressor preflop. That explains the flop check. I had him read for a 3 or a 5 on the river, and since I beat more than 50% of such hands, I had to value bet.

5) I have 45o. He raises, I three-bet to pacify his constant raising, he caps 

Flop is 28t, I check-fold.

6) he folds his sb.

7) K5o. I raise, he three-bets, I call. Flop is JQ5r. He bets and I call, and plan on seeing a showdown unless the final board has a T or an A.

Turn is a 9, he checks and I check behind, smelling a rat!
River is a T. He bets, I raise, he folds.

G - I had 33 here. Stupid, stupid bet on the river here. Would not be surprised to see that he was bluffing.

8) He raises, I call with 67o. I check fold a J9A flop.

9) I fold my sb with 38o since he is now defending so much.

10) 33. He raises, I three-bet, he caps.
Flop is 85A. I check-raise trying to get him off KQ or QJ or other high card capping hands. He three-bets and I fold.

G - I had Q9o. I actually used a tell here. There was just enough time between my flop bet and his raise for him to roll his eyes and tell himself, “Gonores can’t have an ace this time.”

J – Haha, I suck. I think I was still closing my tables at this time but that is certainly possible, NH.

11) I fold 73o.

12) He raises, I call with k4o.
*** FLOP *** [5d Kd 4c]
I check-raise, he three-bets, I call
Turn is a K, I try to check-raise and whiff.
River is the Th. I check and he checks behind. So much for inducing a bluff. He had 34d.

G - The god of whims decided to look down upon me when I decided to check this turn. I figured he would a bit more confident about his hand if he had a 5 once the second K hit, so I decided to check behind/induce a bluff on a non-diamond river. I couldn’t bet the river because I didn’t want to call a c/r.

13) I have J9o and raise, he three-bets, I call.
FLOP: 6c5c3d. He bets and I fold. I’m thinking about changing gears a little bit with how aggressive he’s been.

14) he folds his sb
15) I raise 38o and he folds.
16) I think he’s getting a little annoyed by folding 2 in a row, so I three-bet his raise with Qs6s.
Flop is Td 9s 4s. I bet, he folds.

17) I raise a3o. He calls.

Flop is 468r. I bet, he raises, I call.
Turn is an 8 putting out 2 spades. Check check.
River is a 2o. Check check, I beat q5o.

G - I considered c/r the turn again here, but James foiled that plan. Once he checks the turn, I know he’s committed to showdown. Oh well

18) he folds his sb.
19) I get dealt KK and raise because a limp is so suspicious. He three-bets and I oblige him by capping.
Flop is a lame Ad6d2c. He bets, I call. At this point I don’t plan on raising or doing anything unless he stops betting, but I’m obviously seeing a showdown. If he has medium cards I know he’ll keep betting, but can fold to a raise. Plus he’ll three-bet most aces.
Turn is a 4, he checks. I check behind because I don’t want to give him a chance to give up if I have him crushed. I also don’t really want to get check-raised.
River is a Q. He bets, I call. He has 38o.

G - I should be done with this hand once he calls the flop. I wasted a bet on the river. He had showdown in his mind as soon as he saw that ace hit.

20) He raises, I call with 36s. Flop is A95r. and I check fold.

21) I raise JTo, he three-bets and I call. Flop is 393r. I check-call. Turn is another 3 and I fold.

22) I fold 93o in my sb.

23) 33, I raise, he calls.

Flop is Ac7c6s. I bet, he folds.

24. j5o He raises and I call.
Flop is 25Tr. I check-raise and he calls.
Turn is a 2 completing the rainbow, I bet, he calls.
River is a Q. I bet, he raises, I contemplate a fold but don’t feel like getting bluffed by an overcard. He has AQo. Woops.

G - This felt like too good of a board for him to not bluff at. I know that in his mind, there’s a very good chance I missed this flop, so I have to presume he’s taking a shot here. Especially after all the check/folding he’s done from his prior BBs. Also, it is fun to river people.

26. Raise 88, he folds the flop of k92r.

26) 57o. He raises, I call.
Flop is As4d3d. I check-raise and he calls. I figure I can blow him off middling cards with this, but he thwarts me.
Turn is a Qc. I bet, he calls.
River is a 2. I bet, he raises, I three-bet, he calls. He shows A2o. Not sure why he didn’t pop it somemore before that. It’s just about tied at this point

G - I was going to raise basically any river, because I figured the chances of my getting 3-bet would be slimmer. Plus, if he’s flat-bluffing, I get more bets out of him by slowplaying. Unfortunately, he was semibluffing.

27. I have 32d. I raise, he three-bets, I call.
Flop is Qc7c2h. He bets, I call.
Turn is a 9s. He bets, I call.
River is a Ks. He bets, I really want to fold b ut call. He has K7. Meh, I had planned to fold to anymore paint but didn’t follow through. Goes to show ya.

28. he raises and I fold 72o.

29. I fold 93o in my sb.

30. he raises and I three-bet ATh. He calls.

Flop is 973c. I bet, he raises and I call, planning on calling down unless a club comes.
Turn is a Ts. I check-raise and he calls.
River is a 3s. Not the best card, but not the worst. I bet, he calls and has 92s.

G - Pretty standard for me with 92 here. Too much of a chance he’s doing this with a hand like Ac7x or something else.

31) I raise 94o, he calls. I figure I can raise here because I folded two hands in a row just now.
Flop is Th7c6s. He check-raises and I call, planning to fold the turn unimproved.
Turn is a 5c. He bets, and I of course call.
River is a A, but he is calling anyway and I check behind. He had 67 and called me a pussy.

G - Upon review, I hate this river check. If he has the ace I think he has, he’s raising. And, yes, James is a pussy.

32. 35h. He raises, I call. I check-fold a 4KK flop.

33. I raise 95o, he three-bets and I call.

Flop is 9s3c7s. He bets and I call, planning to raise any turn.
Turn is a 8d. He bets, I call and he three-bets. I figure he might have something like A8 and be thrown off by my flop call and just call.
River is a blank, he bets and I call and he has 65s. Damnit.

33. I have Q8c and decide I need to stop being a wuss. He raises, I three-bet but he caps. I feel like he’s trying to lean on me and plan on check-raising any flop.
Flop is T24o. I check-raise and he folds.

34. I have 67o and raise, he calls. Flop is KJ9, I bet, he raises and I fold.
35. I have j7c. He raises and I call.

Flop is AK9r. I check-raise to see if he really has a any big cards since he’s been raising so much. He calls.
Turn is a 7, I bet and he calls. I know he has me crushed.
River is a 3. I check planning to fold, but he delays for a second. I take this as a marginal hand like a king and raise, seeing if he can make the good fold. He calls with a4o and I lose. I feel like he could have folded a king or QQ-TT.

G - Last night, while I was thinking about what changes James would be making for this match, I figured he would be thinking long and hard about how to steal an extra pot or two on the river, since our pots were going to be bigger due to more preflop/flop posturing. If you catch me on the right day, I might lay A4 down to the c/r (these days are few and far between). I might also fold a king, but I would’ve checked behind with QQ-TT.

36) J5o I raise he folds.
37) He folds his sb.
38) I fold 95o
39) He raises, I three-bet k2c. He just calls.
Flop is Ks6h3d. I bet, he calls.
Turn is Qh. I bet, he raises, I ponder and just call.
River is another K, I plan on check-raising but he checks behind. He has J3h. He shoulda value bet because I would have called with an ace.

G – Felt like a pretty clear time for a free-showdown play with the pair + flushdraw with Jh3h. I have my doubts whether he really would have called 2 more bets with ace high. Calling flops and raising turns with hands that don’t beat ace high isn’t my style, for the most part.

40) I fold 93o
41) He raises, I three-bet A2o, he caps.
Flop is Q57 all hearts and I have none, I check-fold.

42) I raise A9o, he three-bets and I cap.
Flop is QJJ. He bets, I call.
Turn is an A. He bets, I call.
River is a 9. He bets, I call.
He has A2, damn. I didn’t raise at any point because I didn’t want to scare him if he was just blowing smoke out of his ass. In hindsight, I really think I should’ve raised the river because he’d call with any pair at all here.

43) He raises, I three-bet KQo. He calls.

Flop is 5c5s4s. I bet, he raises. I plan on calling down, because he knows I know that’s a bluffing board and that he’d never bluff, so maybe he’s bluffing.
Turn is a T, check call.
River is a 4, check-call. He has 53h.

G - Hooray for fastplays.

44) I raise 54s, he three-bets and I call.
Final board is 9A663 and every street was checked through and he won with K5. In hindsight I wish I bet the turn, but the 6 was a crappy card because he will give me less credit for a card that is paired on the board. Oh well, you can’t win em all.

G- I wrote this before reading the commentary (I wrote something for each critical hand prior to reading commentary, but I wanted to make that explicit here): Pretty weird, ey? I was using that buy-on-the-turn play, but the turn card made a bet too suspiscious. I figured he’d take a shot at this pot on the turn, and I wanted to c/r. Even if I whiff, I have a good hand to show down.

45) Ad8x. He raises, I three-bet, he calls.

Flop is 8d7d5d. We cap it.
Turn is Qh, bet, call.
River is Jh. I contemplate a check-raise, but figure a bet will be better if he has a smaller pair. He calls, and I beat 8T.

G - Meh. Right amount of action, IMO.

46) K7o. I raise, he calls. Flop is AJ3 two hearts. He check-folds

47) I have 66 and raise, he calls.

Flop is AJ7r. He check-calls.
Turn is a 7. He bets. He has not just come out betting on a turn yet. I figure even if I am ahead he has, at bare minimum 12 outs. Probably more. I give it up.

G - I had T9. Figured he’d smell this for “fishy.”

48) he raises, I fold T3o
49) I have aces and raise. He three-bets and I cap it.
Flop is 2h3s7h. He check-calls, I figure he has exactly nothing.
Turn is an 8 and he checks, and I check behind because I want him to hit an overcard got damnit. I sincerely doubted he had even a draw here.

River is an offsuit J and he bets. I raise, he calls and has KhJh. I probably got less than I would’ve if I just played it straight up, but I think more in the long term here when he doesn’t happen to have a heart draw.

G - I had KhJh. I was checkraising the turn. Bad timing for me on the river. I debated 3-betting and folding to a 4-bet, but ultimately decided AJo was very probable here.

50) He raises, I call with 8h7d.
Flop is A96 all hearts. I check raise to get him off overcards with no heart, and he obliges by folding.

G – 44, no hearts. Nice raise

51) T8o. I raise, he three-bets, I call.
Flop is 959 and I check-fold. Can’t go check-raising every flop.

52) he folds his sb
53) J8x. I raise, he three-bets and I call.
Flop is 997r. I check-call, planning on check-raising the turn.
Turn is a 3, but he checks behind.
River is a 2, but since he checked behind I’m pretty sure he plans on calling this river. I check, he bets and I fold.

G – Once again, written before reading: I had A2. The turn check felt sorta weak, but he hasn’t been check-calling flops and subsequently check-calling or check-folding turns.

54) Q7s. He raises, I three-bet and he caps.
Flop is QJ3. I check-raise and he three-bets. I just call, but as soon as I do I wish I capped.
Turn is an innocuous 6 and I plan to go for the check-raise but he checks behind. [censored].
River is a T and I check and he checks behind AT. In hindsight I need to be betting this river and probably folding to a raise. I don’t think he bluff-raises me there.

G – Easily my toughest decision of the night here. I agonized over the river, but I really wanted to see what he had, and I think I would’ve laid down to a check-raise here, since everything about my play points either AK, AT, KT or AcXc (maybe KT). If I have AcXc, he knows I’m checking behind on the river here, so he has to think there is a good chance I caught a pair here. The play from his side with a Q or a J would be to check-raise and fold to a 3bet. Hmmm. Maybe I should have bet this river, just to 3bet him off his hand [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] .

55) I raise 66, he three-bets and I cap.

Flop is 552 and we cap it.
Turn is a K and he check-calls.
River is a T and I check behind. I definitely should’ve bet here. He had A9o.

G – Yeah, I said out loud “ohh, missed a value bet, didn’t ya?” Then I debated whether or not I’d call the river and decided I prolly wouldn’t.

56) J9o he raises I call. Flop is Ad9d3s. I check-call.
Turn is a Kc. Check-check.
River is a 7h. check check I beat q3d.

57) I raise k2o and he three-bets, I call but fold a 854r flop.

58) He raises and I call k6o.

Flop is 9s3d5s. I check-raise because he’s been folding some low flops when I do this. He calls.
Turn is a J and I bet again. He calls.
River is a Q and I check planning on folding. He checks behind and I lose to a3o

59) I fold j3o in my sb.
60) He raises I fold 73o
61) I fold 35o.
62) Time to get out of the kiddie pool and start making some moves. He raises but I have t3o. [censored]. I fold. He’s ahead 3.25 to 2.75 at this point btw.
63) 74o but I’ve had enough folding. I raise and he calls. He check-folds a 449 flop. I thought about checking behind, but how obvious is that? I wanted to give him an opportunity to run me over.
64) He raises and I fold q2o. Enough 2s and 3s please.
65) I raise 39s and he three-bets. I’m getting sick of this. I call.
Flop is A48 1 spade and I fold to his bet. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
66) he raises and I fold 35o.
67) I fold 84o.
68) He raises and I three-bet KTo. He calls but folds a KQ6 flop.
69) I raise Q3o and he folds. I decide I’m changing gears.
70) AQo. He raises, and I three-bet, he caps. I’m seeing a river.
Final board is a gross T5876. So I just call the whole way and he has t9. Basically I’m telling him I’m done folding here.

71) I raise JxTh, he three-bet and I call.
Flop is Ah9dJh. He bets, and I call.
Turn is a 8h. He-check folds?

G - I had 77. I can’t imagine he called the flop here with something that doesn’t beat me once that suited 8 falls.

72) I have Q8 and he raises, I call. Flop is all 5s. I check-call. Turn is a Q and I miss a check-raise river is a ten and I bet because I want a call from King or ace high, but I should’ve check-raised again. When he doesn’t bet the turn I have to know he doesn’t have ace or king high.

G – Ugh. Botched. 96s here. Initiative, position, and everything else. Shoulda kept pressing. He’s prolly folding the turn if he whiffs.

73) I fold 72o.

74) He raises and I call with q4o.
Flop is QhJh3c. I check-raise and he calls, but he folds a 6h on the turn.

75) I raise A7o, he calls.

He check-raises a AK6r flop and I just call, planning on popping him on the turn.

He checks again on the 7 turn and I bet, he raises and I three bet and he finally gives it up.

G- Meh. I had Q9. Felt like getting feisty.

76) he raises and I fold 49o.

77) I raise 37o and he folds.

78) A4c. He raises and I three-bet.

Flop is Ah Jh Qs and I try for an ill-advised check-raise(why james, why). The turn is the Kh and it goes check check again. River is another K and he folds to my bet. Yippee. Bluff at the pot gonores, damn you.

G – (beforehand) I had 86o. I’m fairly confident he had me beat here.

79) I fold j3o
80) He raises I fold 73o
81) I raise 24o he folds.
82) He raises I fold 83o
83) I fold 23o. nice run of cards here.
84) He folds.
85) I raise 95o and he folds.
86) He raises, and I three-bet a2o, he caps.
Flop is 9dTc4s. I check-call, planning on check-raising any turn. All these flop check-raises are getting no respect.
Turn is a perfect 3s. I check-raise and he gives it up. Gotta make those 6 outers fold any way we know how.

G - I think it was time for a gear-change from both of us. I had K6o here.

87) I raise q3o and he calls. He check-folds a T94r flop.

G – T9 flops annoyed me all through the match

88) He raises, I call Q3c and check-fold a As8sJd flop.
89) I raise, he three-bets and I cap 77.
Flop is KT4 with 2 clubs. I bet, he raises and I cll, planning on seeing a showdown.
Final board is K4T8T and I beat A2. The K8T flop is very drawy and I can’t guess which draw he has. This is why I decided that I was seeing a showdown no matter what(unless it was completely obvious I was beaten).

G - Too drawy a board for me to give up. Maybe a check-call on the river would have been smarter

90) he raises, I call with 56c. I check-fold a A39r flop.
91) I raise 89o, he calls and check folds a T93 flop.
92) He raises and I three-bet AhJc. He calls. The flop is Qc3c9d and he check-raises me. It’s such a drawy board and I’ve been calling down so much, so I think he has it this time. He’d been check-raising so many draws that at this point I don’t think a call-down is +ev. In hindsight, I think I should’ve peeled one because of all the possible ways I can be helped on the turn. Misplayed, IMO.
93) I raise A8o, he three-bets and I cap.
Flop is JcTd8d and I have no diamonds. He bets, and I call. I plan on calling down.
Turn is the 5c. He bets, and I call.
River is the 9h. He bets and I fold. [censored] that, I’m done.

G - Surprised to not see a river raise here, regardless of what he had. I had T2s, and I was calling a raise on the river.

94) he raises I fold 83o.
95) I raise j6o and he folds.
96) He raises and I three-bet Ah8h, he cals.
Flop is QdTd6s. I bet and he calls. At this point I’m giving up on bad turns, too many ways I’ve missed here.
Turn is a 9c. So much for that, I check, and he checks behind? I figured him for a pair and a jack, I’m guessing J9 or JT because I think he’d bet most of the time there. He could also have AXd.
River is the Ad. Ooook. I bet, and he calls. He has QJo. What gives?

G - WOW. Should’ve raised the flop (and obviously bet the turn). FPS, I guess. Worst hand of the match by me

97) Last hand, I’ve messed up the numbering. I raise 22 and he calls.
Flop is Th8d2h. He check-raises, I three-bet and he caps.. No use in slowplaying here. I think waiting gives him too many chances with his draws, and he’s been checking behind a fair amount of turns at this point.
Turn is the 7c and he check-calls. Strange.
River is the 7d. He check calls and has 83o. Guess he didn’t want to fold the last hand.

G - Hehe. I had 38o. I was down $.21 and wanted to see if I could get back to even for the match. Little too heavy on the action.

Final thoughts: I win by 39 cents, or about 10 BB. Tough to tell whether it’s play or variance(obviously a combination of both). I felt like he was outplaying me in the first half of the match but I think I adjusted well. Overall, I think his strategy for this portion was better prepared than mine, but I think I extracted well postflop. I think that I adjusted to his more defensive strategy pretty well as it went on, while still breaking even on my particularly terrible hands, which was crucial for me in these 100 hands.