Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Playing a pocket pair vs. 1 overcard

Two examples. In both cases you're playing 2/4 online and you have TT on the button. There are two loose limpers from MP we'll say, and you raise, folding the blinds. The limpers call.

My question is, which flop would you play stronger:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (you do not hold the T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

or

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

So 3 players, 7.5 small bets in the pot.

You'll notice in both cases your pair is fairly higher than middle pair, but you face the possibility of being against a Queen and having only 2 outs.

I was thinking about what SSH would say... in the first flop, you may be ahead, but if so there's a decent chance you will be outdrawn on. However, the second flop is so ragged that if anyone stays in postflop, you have to be more afraid of being against a queen because there aren't really any draws.

So, how would you play on each board if
A. The first limper bets the flop
B. The second limper bets the flop
C. It's checked to you on the flop
D. It's checked to you on the flop, you bet, and it's checked to you on the turn.

Or if you don't feel like answering all the questions, some general strategy would be fine.

Curious to see what you guys think.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Playing a pocket pair vs. 1 overcard

1 A call flop c/raise a non diamond turn, fold to a 3-bet

1 B same

1 C Bet

1 D Bet Bet

2 A raise

2 B raise

2 C bet

2 D bet bet
Old 01-27-2005, 06:50 PM

Both flops were relatively favorable. So I definately want to get to showdown. I would bet if checked to and raise if bet into on the flop. Then I would bet/fold the turn and more than likely check behind on the river on the hands where I was bet into on the flop.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:03 PM

and by "c/raise" I of course meant "raise" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 08:30 PM

I will give my opinion without the benefit of looking at the expert posters [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], that said.

I would play both pretty much the same (am I wrong?).

I would bet out, If I was flat called , bet out again on the turn, a turn raise (depending on card) I am either folding or calling and check/fold the river (depending again on card).

Any bet to me post flop, I am raising if for no other reason than to get a free look at the river.

Regards David