Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Two raggy pair - call a turn push?

The converter cuts this hand in half, so it doesn't really show the turn action. First hand at new table.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (10 handed) converter

SB ($40)
Hero ($50)
UTG ($0)
UTG+1 ($91.15)
UTG+2 ($9)
MP1 ($41.2)
MP2 ($118.75)
MP3 ($73.3)
CO ($71.65)
Button ($94.5)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $1, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1, CO folds, Button calls $1, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($5) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, Button folds, SB calls $4.

Turn: ($13) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Hero calls $25.

He check-raised all-in for 25 more here, yes.

River: ($48) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $48

I won't comment too much now, cause it usually reveals too much about the result. Good call? Bad call? Tough call? Easy call?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Two raggy pair - call a turn push?

its a flip a coin and decide situation for me.

I don't think SB check calls the flop, check raises the turn with just a T. maybe AT but why would he check call the flop?

only possible hand I put him on that you beat is 9 3 or 9 5.

its close. I'm not sure. I would probably fold.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:09 PM

I'm curious what others have to say. I would think you would have to be beat.

Unless the guy's an idiot... At the absolute least, he has to put you on top pair... his bet has to be saying, "your top pair is no good"...

This smacks of a slowplay to me. Your best case (other then an absolute bluff) is he's slowplaying an overpair (which is unlikely since he likely would have raised it PF)... More likely he slowplayed a set (or flopped a set of fives on the turn)

The only other REASONABLE hands he might bet this way would be 10-5, 9-5, 9-10, 3-5 or 3-9. (and any of those without the five in it... I suspect he would have reraised you on the flop.)

I'm curious if others see it differently.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:12 PM

I got stacked a few days earlier in a similar situation where I flopped a crappy two pair and the other had a set. This might be another case of that, but I have to think that he might have raised a pocket pair out of the small blind. However, depending on the player, he might have limped with 910, which has you crushed. The last possibility here, which really wouldn't surprise me is that he is semi-bluff pushing with a flush draw which I see A LOT on these PP 100 buy in tables. If that's the case, you made a great call and got rivered. After my previous experience, i'm a little gun-shy on these raggedy two pair hands. However, you are getting 2-1 on your call here, and if he has a set, unless it's 10's you have outs, and you *might* be ahead here. It's probably a very reluctant call.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:36 PM

The nature of the board made the call for me. If the turn was a high card I probably would have folded.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:56 PM

Big Hearts.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:58 PM

explain your reasoning.

was SB tight enough that you can rule out T5?
Old 01-27-2005, 07:31 PM

This is a really tough decision without a good read.
I think the first thing you have to ask yourself is if he is capable of making a move here with some kind of draw.
Then you need to figure out how many hands are out that you beat vs how many beat you and how likely is he to have played those hands this way.
Then you check the odds, in this situation you are getting 2,3:1 so you only need to win about 30% of the time.

I'm leaning toward a call here because of the money in the pot but I'm not sure. I'm really expecting him to show a set here most of the time.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:32 PM

1. Slowplayed TT, 99, 33.
2. Slowplayed overpair.
3. "Slowplayed" T9, T3, T5, 53, 93.
4. Two over-hearts, or an OE SF draw.
5. TPTK.
6. Bluff.

From these, I figured 3,5 and 6 was most likely. Of course on occassion you'll be up against 1, but I figured I was in good shape against most of the scenarios. When the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] showed on the river I figured I was in trouble.

I just thought his actions didn't make much sense. If he had bet the flop, and called my raise, and then pushed the turn it would have been harder.

He showed T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 08:56 PM

its tough, but i would call. a set would be worried about the flush/str8 draw with this many players. he either hit the set on the turn or just sucks. i vote sucks and a call.