Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 10:24 PM

Default AQs misses flush draw

I'm going to really start going over my hands more often and will probably be posting here a lot more often. Want to make sure I am covering all of the leaks in my game and I haven't often posted here. Doing this for a living so need to make sure everything is air-tight.

Unfortunately, no reads as PT is not working on this computer ATM.. hopefully, that will be fixed. Thanks for any critique on all streets.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

River: (6.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.66 BB

The river just seems so very wrong to me for some reason...
Old 01-26-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: AQs misses flush draw

what's up met. Was this hand from right now? I missed it. IMO, this is pretty standard. BTW, from what I could tell from 18 hands, you looked TAG to me. and you just left my table.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:42 PM

I would fold the river unless I had some sort of read. I don't play it any different.

Where you at in San Jose? I live downtown.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:01 AM

Am I the only one who value bets this river? Maybe if the Button is an uber-calling station check-fold is the best here. I'd bet and fold to a raise. There is a good chance he's chasing the same flush as you or can get moved off of an unimproved low pair. If you had position on him I'd take the cheap show down, but being out of position I'd value bet.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:17 AM

The play may or may not be very standard but I am going to be posting a couple of hands like these that *hopefully* all seem like very standard play.. otherwise I've got some major leaks. He could be chasing the same flush as me, but I don't know... anyone else bet this river? In an evaluative way something just didn't feel right about the river, though it was what I believe to be my standard play.

Thanks for the replies so far. And yes this hand was from just a little before I posted it.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold the river unless I had some sort of read. I don't play it any different.

Where you at in San Jose? I live downtown.

[/ QUOTE ]

South San Jose by the Capitol 16 theatre.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who value bets this river? I'd value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about checking it down, I would definite make this move with a calling station in front of me. Too many times have I gotten any hand to lay down, could've been trash but possibly low pair on the flop calling but gave up.

EP you cant play it any other way on that draw.. Damn my missed nut flushes tho...that is my biggest hole of all

Cheers
Old 01-27-2005, 12:28 AM

nice hand.

disagree with betting the river.

1. if villain was chasing the same flush (and missed) he still might check behind

plus

2. villain is not folding any pair on the river.

=

check/fold.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:28 AM

I don't like betting the river. You are almost certainly not going to be called by a hand that you beat, but you will often be called (and only rarely raised, I think) by hands that beat you.

Villain will not fold top pair to a single river bet after calling all this way with it, nor will he fold a pocket pair. A decent player might fold a paired 9 or 2, but if he'd fold that for a single bet on the river, he probably wouldn't have called 2 cold preflop with that hand and nobody else in the pot yet.

You can make a case for check/call rather than check/fold, but even then I think the fold is preferable against an unknown.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who value bets this river? Maybe if the Button is an uber-calling station check-fold is the best here. I'd bet and fold to a raise. There is a good chance he's chasing the same flush as you or can get moved off of an unimproved low pair. If you had position on him I'd take the cheap show down, but being out of position I'd value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]