Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Tournament Strategy Summarized...

(This gets to be a little long, just so you are warned)

So let me get this straight...

The typical large online MTT takes on average 5 hours. Each hour seems to have its own strategy. Granted that every hand should be played depending on the circumstances at that given moment. Overall here are the five stages that I have found in the tournaments.

Hour One: Opening Rounds
Playing tight is right. Basically raise only the high pocket pairs and AK or AQ. Limp in late positions with smaller pockets with hopes of flopping the set. Since there are maniacs early it is better to not try to bluff big or steal in these early rounds. When you do get a huge hand try to push it for all its worth due to the likelihood of getting paid off early. Building up a larger stack is good early is good, but not crucial. Basically try to get reads on all the players at the table and hope they are all still with you in the next hour.

Hour Two: Become the Burglar
With most of the riff raff gone and the money on the distant horizon it is time to start loosening up slightly. Try to steal every once in awhile if it is limped to you in LP and if the blinds are rather tight players. If get played back at, fold. The blinds are still relatively small compared to stack sizes and are worth picking up but not fighting for. As the hour progresses people will generally tighten up. This should allow you to become a bit looser, but you have to remain sharp on who is behind you. Watch out for the big stacks that are simply lucky fish or small stacks that are getting desperate. Monsters against these players will give your stack a nice boost or leave you cursing at your bad luck.

Hour Three: Bubblelicious
The money is now in within view and the majority of the players are in push/fold mode. This is both an extremely profitable but extremely dangerous time in the tournament. If your stack allows it, try to continue to steal against prime targets. YOU MUST ALWAYS BE WATCHING WHO IS IN THE BLINDS. Small stacks may call with any two cards. Big stacks may do the same. If you are on the smaller side of things don't try to steal by pushing. Wait for the right hand. If you have to think, "Is this the right hand?" then it is not the right hand. Be patient.

Hour Four: The greener side of the hill
By now the money line has been crossed and it almost feels like the tournament begins again. I have noticed that a lot of players loosen up right away, push with Ax and cross their fingers. I feel that there is not much chance to steal here and if you are staying afloat on chips wait it out for the right time. This is where luck comes into play the most during a tournament. Pocket pair vs 1 over card and coin flip all-ins are frequent here. Best of luck dodging the minefields.

Hour Five: Promised Land
Approaching the final table the money is still pretty lousy compared to the top few places so people tend to tighten up again. Try to max out any advantage you have on the as best you can. To my best guess, the strategy here is to let some of the big stacks knock out the weaklings and move on up a few notches. The difference in money between 20 and 10 is rather small, but from 10 to 5 is huge. Once down to the last few I guess it's whoever gets the cards first and how well your short-handed skills are. Best of luck to all.

Any Questions?

I've been playing online for a little over a year now and have been on Ultimate Bet for about 2 months. I have played Tournaments here and there, the $5 and $10 NL. My best finish has been third place, two final tables, and quite a few in the money. I have read the eMarkM guide to tournaments and numerous other threads regarding MTT. I have not received Harrington's book yet, it is on my to do list.

Basically this is for my own personal gain and for some others who are still a little lost when it comes to the tournaments with a large field. If anyone would like to throw in advice, changes to this summary, or anything else on his or her minds I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Tournament Strategy Summarized...

Hmmm...

Looks like you've about summed it up. It's much easier (and much more fun), however, if you are able to accumulate some chips in the 1st and 2nd hour, rather than being in a situation later in the MTT when almost every play involves being allin or close to it.

I'd also like to point out that not ALL of the maniacs are gone after the first hour. Some hold on longer. Also, I've noticed that the huge chip leaders in the first hour or two are seldom at the final table.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:46 PM

Yes, the chip leaders early are usually out before the money. From what I have seen these are usually the super loose super aggressive players who catch miracle cards back to back early and then just bully people around. They rarely last very long. These players are very good at doubling people up as time goes on. Also, typically these players like to talk themselves up quite a bit, so it is great entertainment when the entire table rips into him when he goes bust.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:09 AM

Thanks.... I apprecaite you taking the time to put that togther. I am just starting to play tournaments and can use all the help I can get. I did read the Harrington book and found it quite usefull. He did leave a lot to be addressed in volume II however there is still quite a bit of good material. He uses quite a few hands to describe the concpets which is very helpfull
Old 02-22-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the chip leaders early are usually out before the money. From what I have seen these are usually the super loose super aggressive players who catch miracle cards back to back early and then just bully people around. They rarely last very long. These players are very good at doubling people up as time goes on. Also, typically these players like to talk themselves up quite a bit, so it is great entertainment when the entire table rips into him when he goes bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's some truth to this but let me relate a recent experience. I've had some success in MTT's recently (after losing a fair amount and reading some books and working hard on my game - boy is it a tough road to get good). I played mostly $30 and under tournaments. Won a TEC to a $100 event (150 players) and on the first hand catch 66 in the BB. I called PF 1 raiser 2 callers (small raise) and flopped a beautiful 8 6 2 rainbow. I check, raiser bets 150, I come over the top for 400 and he pushes all in. Well ...?

My read (overpair though I was surprised to see TT!) was right and I more than double in the first hand. Make a few plays after that to get to 3X+ my starting stack (never showing down a loser). Tightened up and, even though went horribly card dead, coasted into the money. (Busted out when I had second pair and got rivered to a flush).

Points: Generalizing, while useful, can be dangerous. People who read me as a super LAG because I doubled, then trippled rather early got burned. In internet MTT's you get moved from table to table so ofter that simply assuming that an early big stack is a super LAG might not be prudent.

Also, don't underestimate the value of having a big stack early. It's somewhat cliche to say that these early doublers are giving up EV with their early risky plays. IMO there's a lot of EV in being a big stack early in a MTT so long as you keep your wits.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:47 AM

The key thing you mentioned was that you tightened up. Many players who aquire a big stack early don't have that ability.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:47 AM

That's a good generalization for online tournament play. Of course, what separates the boys from the men can't be listed so easily.

Anyway, my particular trouble spot right now is the minefield when you're in the money. As you've noted, this is the time for lots of all-ins with 60/40 or 50/50. If you're a shorter or even average stack there's really nothing you can do to avoid it so you have to suck it up and hope you win a few small edges in a row. I usually bust out here. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Depending on the stakes you play, you really can't say that most of the bad players are gone. I am continually amazed and scared by the horrible play I see after the bubble has burst. It's easily the most dangerous time of the tournament (at least you usually double your buy-in at least). This where I am focusing my attention right now.

Fortunately, I seem to be pretty good at the first 3 stages you mentioned. I generally make it to the top 5% in the low stakes tournaments. The one thing that continually hurts me in the middle stages is losing with top pair to sets or unlikely 2 pairs. I have a hard time getting away from this even when I'm almost sure I'm beat. I see AK or AQ on an unassuming ace high flop and won't let it go. I guess it's a product of seeing so many go nuts with top pair and weak kickers and knowing that I can't wait because of the blinds. :/ I probably just need to make better reads in those situations. If I don't have a read it's probably better to assume that any big action I get means top pair is no longer good.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:07 PM

I've recently learned changed up the way I play around the 3rd and 4th hour and it's made a big difference in my results. Getting closer to the bubble, I used to tighten up quite a bit, hoping to squeeze in and then maybe loosen up but after reading some posts in here about going for the final table and first place, I now do nearly the opposite.

Getting closer to the bubble, I will usually take a chance or two to double or triple up (all-in with flush draw even though I know it will probably be called, raising all in good but not premium hands). Getting an above average chip count enables to pick spots to steal blinds and antes when others are tightening up like I used to. If they start catching on, just limp in late position and bet the flop if checked to you. Picking the right players and spots are crucial and getting some real hands here and there are important too.

Basically, I've been building large stacks in this period with few showdowns and been more willing to go for some coin flips with smaller stacks just to have a better advantage when it gets to the final table where I tighten back up again.

Just started playing on Ultimate Bet two weeks ago and have one win, a fourth, a fifth, 3 other itm's in just 20 tournaments and have qualified in 3 out of 3 satellites I've played. I know I've been getting awfully lucky to have a streak like this but I still attribute alot of it to my new style of play in this stage of the tourney.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:17 PM

Going all in preflop with marginal hands, all in on a flush draw - sounds like most of the people that annoy me in these tournaments. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] As long you're the one raising I can see you're point. Just don't be the one calling. Although, raising on a flush draw knowing you'll be called doesn't sound too smart to me. You're willing to take a 2-1 dog with about 1-1 money?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:26 PM

Well I'm talking about when the blinds and antes get high enough and maybe there was a raise and call before the flop, so actually sometimes getting 2-1 for that flush draw. Just gambling once or twice to get that bigger stack that can help bring in sooo much more.
Oh yeah, always the aggressor. Big bully. Once they start playin back, cool off a couple rounds or hope to switch tables.