Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 07:03 PM

Default 100NL AK, poorly played?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed) converter

CO ($511.6)
Button ($200.4)
SB ($284)
BB ($156.25)
UTG ($59.6)
Hero ($222.4)
MP1 ($100)
MP2 ($98.8)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($6) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $220.4 (All-In)</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: $246.40
Old 01-26-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: 100NL AK, poorly played?

Yes, I would say so. You won't win any more money with this move, but you'll loose a lot more.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:18 PM

45 more....I like that its classic Harrington bc it makes it a mistake for him to call with a draw...and it might provoke a BIG BIG mistake by AQ or AJ...

Just throwing out ideas here...

yes played very poorly.

Most of the time, raise preflop with AK, even UTG.

I guess you feel you were out of position and didn't want to, fine. The result of this is that you check fold missed flops but disguise your hand better and make your money off a TP hand with worse kicker. granted you also possibly let in more people that can hit 2 pair on the flop but would have folded preflop, had you raised it preflop. And of course their 2 pair would be perfectly disguised against you since when they bet out, you would put them on TP worse kickers.

on the flop, you bet out, thats good. Guy check raises you....

and you push?

classic example of a raise that doesn't fold out better hands and can't get worse hands to call.

his reraise should be easy call. let him hang himself on AT, AJ. Charge him on the turn if he checks as it could be a flush draw semibluff on the flop for him.

Bet the turn if checked to, check call turn if villain bets.

The only hands that call that are AK and a set, with 33 being quite likely. If you call AQ can bet again on the turn or at least call a small value bet. If you're going to lose your stack by the river to a set of 3's either way then you might as well extract more money from AQ.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:32 PM

BB told you he likes his hand. So let him keep betting.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:33 PM

Like Biff said the only thing you get from pushing is the $0 chance of you winning any more from him on this hand. He check raised you, which to me would scream set of three's. If he has a set you are in trouble of losing quite a bit on this hand. He wouldn't that much on a heart draw. Maybe he has K3, but most likely AQ-10. Either call it or raise him another 15 or 20 and hope for the best.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:01 PM

I like just calling on the flop except what do you do if the flush draw hits on the turn and he bets? You might have the best hand against AQ,AJ,A3 etc or you could be drawing to 4 outs.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:09 PM

i dont think this is quite right. i like to reraise, but maybe just a min raise or a bit higher. i kinda like the all-in raise, but not at this limit. at NL25 or lower i like the "move of honor".
Old 01-26-2005, 09:28 PM

Based on the table Im pretty sure limping in that spot was better than raising. I felt that I had to reraise the flop, I had a strong holding but it was quite vulnerable. The player in the hand wasnt a very solid player so there would be many cards on the turn that would scare me, a heart a 10 a J a Q, they were all possible straight+ flush holdings of his. I know that I made it impossible to make a mistake (the only hand calling is 33) but I still think a reraise is in order. I liked the suggestion of 45.