Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 12:05 PM

Default KQs with straight draw... when to let go?

Hi. First time poster and all that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've been reading these forums for a while but am still quite new to poker, so my game leaves a lot to be desired...

Anyway, I was hoping for some comments on the following hand, mostly the turn and river play (but all comments are welcomed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB folds.

River: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

At the turn, I'm thinking that I'm probably beaten, but I don't want to show that I haven't made my hand yet. Was the bet a good choice?

At the river I'm thinking he may have just been along for the ride (he never raises), so I bet thinking HE may fold on the blank river card. Good? Stupid?

Basically I have trouble letting go of hands at times, mostly because I don't know WHEN to let go. I appreciate any comments here. Go easy on me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: KQs with straight draw... when to let go?

As a simple rule of thumb, until you get a read saying otherwise don't expect a bad player to fold on the river. You king-high is almost certainly a loser, so just check-fold.

I'm also inclined to check the turn, but that one can go either way as lots of players call one on the flop with nothing only to fold the turn unimproved.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:14 PM

Hi, welcome to the forums.

It looks like you overplayed your hand here.

Preflop is good.

Call the flop bet. Raising the flop doesn't serve much purpose, SB almost certainly has you beat and you aren't going to get him to fold. You can free up some pot equity by kncoking out UTG and MP1 but not enough to make raising here +EV. Your chances of getting a free card are also poor. Calling is good however because you are getting sufficiant pot odds.

Check the turn. The only point to betting here is to knock your two opponents out. That simply isn't going to happen very often at all. Check and hope MP1 checks behind to give you a free look at the river.

Check/fold the river. After coming this far it's unlikely MP1 is going to fold often enough to make betting +EV.

An important thing to remember is that just because you raised preflop it doesn't mean you have some special commitment to your hand after the flop.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:17 PM

welcome.
my thoughts:

this hand was overplayed. you are leaking chips with king high. why raise the flop? i would call the flop.
check-and likely fold the turn because of pot odds.
-t
Old 01-26-2005, 12:42 PM

As a simple rule of thumb, until you get a read saying otherwise don't expect a bad player to fold on the river. You king-high is almost certainly a loser, so just check-fold.

Point taken. After reviewing this hand I realised that I probably just threw a bet away.

An important thing to remember is that just because you raised preflop it doesn't mean you have some special commitment to your hand after the flop.

Very true. I think I was probably too concerned about showing weakness rather than betting appropriately.

Thanks everyone for all your comments, I'll keep checking in mind as a more viable play.

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Ah Qc (two pair, aces and fours).
Hero has Qh Kh (one pair, fours).
Outcome: MP1 wins 11 BB. </font>
Old 01-26-2005, 12:42 PM

I wouldn't be betting the turn, you may have earned yourself a free card with your flop raise anyway. Betting the river is not a good idea, since he's not going to fold for one bet with a pot that size right - he had to have *something* to stay in it the whole way. Probably an Ace?
Old 01-26-2005, 12:46 PM

I was thinking the flop raise wasn't too terrible. Looks like he might have purchased a free showdown.

Take the free card on the turn. (or at least check -- I guess the free card isn't guaranteed)
Old 01-26-2005, 01:03 PM

Hey,

if I were in LP then I like the flop raise if it buys a free card. otherwise I just call the flop, and def. fold the turn.