Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Am I alone on this? I\'m betting I am.

I was 2-tabling a couple of limit ring games yesterday morning and the oddest thing occured. On table #1 I get dealt K-J on the button. I toggle over to table #2 just in time to see a flop of K-J-J. I quietly chuckle to myself and think "that woulda been nice" but shrug it off. The very next hand on table #2 I'm in the CO and get K-10. As God is my witness, I toggle back to table #1 in time to see a flop of K-K-10!!!

I realize it's completely irrational but I lost it. Full on TILT! I contemplated the odds of flopping a boat, then stewed over the odds of flopping a boat on opposite tables on consecutive hands and drove myself into such a frenzy that I needed to quit for the day.

Has anyone else experienced this? Tilt from multi-tabling when boards from other tables are creating moster hands with your hole cards at other tables.

Completely irrational and probably just me. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Pep.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Am I alone on this? I\'m betting I am.

as far as the first paragraph goes, i'm with ya. didnt you get the memo about party being rigged? seriously though, its not that big of a deal. just a strange coincidence. whats more important is that you recgognized that you were tilting and stopped playing for the day. good job
Old 01-26-2005, 10:33 AM

Happens all the time.

Learn to ignore it. Concentrate on things that will help you win.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:51 AM

I notice this phenomenon all the time. Flops on one table would strangely go perfectly with your cards on the other. I thought it was someone trying to mess with my head.

But let's face it. It's NOTHING BUT A COINCIDENCE.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:33 PM

I find what helps me ignore these things is noticing that most of the time it would be a misdeal due to a fouled deck anyway. If your hand is K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], it's not gonna help you very much.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:49 PM

This is another case of our minds finding a pattern where none exists. how many flops and hole card did you see that you can not remember? i will notice flops that match with hole cards at another room, my mind is trained to see flops and erroneously makes a connection btwn the two. these things are probably rarer than you think, but it is very memorable. like bad beats or the illusions luck cause, or people who find patterns in blackjack roullette etc. have you ever bought a car or something else recognizable and then realized how many other people own the same thing. it is like you started a trend or they magically appeared. your mind will see what you focus on and create crazy patterns, and i imagine you have focused on quite a few flops and hole cards. sometimes when i am playing someone who is really lucky or i am really unlucky i will repeat the mantra "there is no pattern". some poker writer put this down on paper i just took it to another level for me( and my crazy mind).
bud
Old 01-26-2005, 01:51 PM

Dude, you are so not alone. And perhaps my anecdotal evidence will make you feel even better......
I've been playing at Absolute and Inter lately trying to clear some bonuses, but their software eats up a LOT of my computer's processing power. I definitely can't 3-table at either site, and even 2-tabling sometimes makes things unbearably slow. So what I've been doing is playing one table at Absolute and one at Pokerroom (or Party, etc.), and you would not believe how many times I have experienced exactly what you're talking about even when playing on two different sites!!!
Hope that helps.
-web
Old 01-26-2005, 01:55 PM

Happens to me sometimes. I'll see a flop on another table and think to myself, "where's that flop on THIS table?" I don't tilt over it though, just a random occurrence that I shrug at and then forget. Kind of like when I get the same exact hole cards on 2 different tables. Over thousands of hands these things are bound to pop up now and then.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:59 PM

I try not to play big tournaments and ring games at the same time because of this.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Like I said, I realize it was completely irrational. Just a quirk I have that I need to keep an eye on so I don't let it affect my game. I idnetify with the guy that said he notices when he gets the same hole cards on two tables at the same time. Here's another dirty little secret. There have been times I was dealt a rag hand like 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on two tables at the same time and I've actually thought to myself "surely I'll catch a flop on one of these" so I limp these crap hands on BOTH tables! Again, completely irrational. Two different games, two different flops but it's amazing the rationalizations I can come up with when I'm not catching good cards and need a reason to play. In fact the more I think about it, I might stop 2-tabling altogether until I can get this madness in check.

Pep.