Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 05:01 AM

Default BB special - aggro the turn and river or just check/call?

Villain seems to be LPP w/ 45% VPIP and 0 PFR for 12 hands (small sample so not very sure)

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Is check/call a better line in hopes of getting more ppl to come along?

Turn: (5.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.
I bet out because I just picked up an open ended straight draw (1 side to the nuts). I 3 bet for the same reason. Too aggressive?

River: (13.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.
Hit my low straight, just call the raise or 3 bet here?

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Thanks guys!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:52 AM

Default Re: BB special - aggro the turn and river or just check/call?

Betting out on the flop is best, with four callers on a flush draw you want bets going in. Check-call would not be too bad here as the two high cards mean a good chance someone has made a pair and will bet, however if you are not certain it won't get checked through, betting is better.

Turn is good, you have a great draw here. When he caps I start thinking he may have AK that he decided to limp with.

I think I just call the river raise too, unless he has 89 he almost surely has a King and possibly the Ace too. Good hand, although it was probably a split pot.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:54 AM

I like a check/call on the flop. Turn looks pretty good. I can't decide if I "love" or "just like" the cap...either way it's good. River looks fine. looks like a likely split or you are beat.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:53 AM

good bet. check/calling on the flop is an error. Hero is on a flush draw which means it is +EV with 3 or more callers.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:58 PM

Thanks for that guys, glad you guys thought the 3 bet at the turn was ok.

Villain shows QTs, MHIG [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 02:03 PM

I think this was a very interesting hand, but I don't think you played it very well.

Street by street:
Flop I would 3-bet. You're either going to fold MP1 or he comes along for the ride and adds value to your flush draw. MP2 may cap, and you're pleased if MP1 calls that too.

I think you were too aggressive on the turn though. I agree with betting out, but I don't 3-bet. Your hand is strong, but not that strong. I figure you to have 15 outs to the straight or flush and that your king outs are no good. They give any ace a straight, frankly I don't see even top pair pulling this pot. You should probably also discount T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] since they turn a set into a boat. At this point I'm really uncertain what villain is on. A set or two pair? The hands that make the most sense to be played this way (KK, AK) are usually raised preflop. Anyway, ~15 outs is not 3-betting territory for me headsup. They aren't value bets, you aren't folding villain, and you aren't in position to take a free showdown when you miss or when a king comes.

The flop is the most atrocious street. You hit what you wanted!! You should definitely definitely 3-bet this, call a cap, and wish they had unlimited raises headsup online. Think about what hands beat you when the 9 falls. AK was already ahead of you on the turn, but is an unlikely holding absent a preflop raise. (If you have a read on opponent that they limp big slick you're even better off slowing down the turn.) You chop with another King and are beating everything else. Jam the pot until you're blue in the face. Please.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that guys, glad you guys thought the 3 bet at the turn was ok.

Villain shows QTs, MHIG [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh man! I can't believe I didn't figure this out. All my advice still stands though.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:39 PM

Are you guys kidding me? Unless you think villain is holding 9-high, no way hero has enough equity to jam the turn. You have to have over half the deck as outs for this to be for value heads-up, and you don't have anywhere near that.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:51 PM

A read on post flop aggression of villian would be helpful here.

I really like your bet out on the flop. I like your turn bet too, but you don't have enough equity to 3 bet here HU. You should call the raise. This would allow you to set up for a checkraise on the river when you hit your straight or flush.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:51 PM

The play on the turn is terrible. The odds are 2-1 against you to hit a straight or flush and you're raising heads up. Not to mention, some of your out may give you a chop so its worse than 2-1.