Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Have you ever been berated because of SSH? Hand post...

Hi,

I was just berated at my 3-6 table for the hand that I am posting. Can you please give me your thoughts about my play of this hand.

I only ask because I won the hand and one of the players who lost the hand called me an idiot, he said I was stupid for chasing a gutshot, then I became a moron who was advised to read books, especially on odds. I just finished SSH and they concept of not folding in large pots was on my mind during this hand.

3/6 Texas Hold-Em

UTG+1 raises to 6

Hero calls (UTG+2) with [ 7h, 7s ]
SB raises to 9

UTG+1 calls (3)
Hero calls 3

Pot = $27 (9 bets)

** Dealing Flop ** : [ Ah, 9c, 6d ]
SB bets (3)
UTG+1 calls (3)
HERO calls (3)

Pot = $36 (12 bets)

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5h ]
SB_1 bets (6)
UTG+1 raises (12) to 12
HERO calls (12)
SB calls (6)

Pot is $76

I am thinking that I have 4 outs for a straight (8) or 2 outs for a set (7) which I felt would have been good

** Dealing River ** : [ 8d ]
SB_1 bets (6)
UTG+1 calls (6)
HERO raises (12) to 12
SB_1 calls (6)
UTG+1 calls (6)

** Summary **

Main Pot: $108 | Rake: $3
Board: [ Ah 9c 6d 5h 8d ]
SB had [ Kc Ac ] [ a pair of aces -- Ac,Ah,Kc,9c,8d ]
UTG+1 had [ As 6s ] for[ two pairs, aces and sixes -- As,Ah,9c,6s,6d ]

HERO collected $108 [ 7h 7s ] [ a straight, five to nine -- 9c,8d,7h,6d,5h ]

Comments or suggestions? Am I am applying some of the SSH concepts correctly. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Have you ever been berated because of SSH

why did you see the turn?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Have you ever been berated because of SSH? Hand post...

They were right to criticize you for chasing. Fold that flop 100% of the time. There are two overcards to your pair, and you're not getting anywhere near the odds to catch a 2-outer.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:01 AM

Looking for a 7 for the set and there was the backdoor straight that was possible.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking for a 7 for the set and there was the backdoor straight that was possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything is "possible." Doesn't mean you have odds to see it. The backdoor straight is about 1 out, and the set is 2 outs. And even if you hit your set, it's not the nuts. But let's give you 3 whole outs. You need to be getting 15:1, and you're not getting it. Fold the flop.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:05 AM

Fold this preflop, it's not worth two bets to try to flop a set against 1 or 2 other players.

Fold to the flop bet, there are way to many hands that already have you beat and you're not likely to improve.

On the turn you have six outs, but you're only getting 4.5/5 to 1, which is too expensive to see the river.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:06 AM

Yeah, this not applying SSHE correctly and I think they were right to criticize you. I fold PF, on the flop, and on the turn. On another note I have been criticized by a fish for playing SSHE-style. I had A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on something like a T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board and bet-3bet the flop in a 3 or 4 way pot. I turned or rivered the nut flush and won the pot, Fish shows down a lone 5 and starts berating me for 3-betting A-high on the flop (he capped w/bottom pair) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I was just berated at my 3-6 table for the hand that I am posting. Can you please give me your thoughts about my play of this hand.

I only ask because I won the hand and one of the players who lost the hand called me an idiot, he said I was stupid for chasing a gutshot, then I became a moron who was advised to read books, especially on odds. I just finished SSH and they concept of not folding in large pots was on my mind during this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to say this, but you misapplied the large pot chasing concept entirely. I think you need to go back and read the section on counting your outs, which is one of the most important sections to understand. The way you played this hand was not by calculating odds to stay in. You basically just played it like a fish, telling yourself, "well I might hit my 3 outer by the river." You must dispell that way of thought, or your money will be in others hands before you know it.

I suggest a good long reread of SSH. sorry to be so blunt about this, but if you go reread the book thoroughly then come back and read your own post, you will see why.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the info. I do see that I made a major mistake in calling the flop, which compounded itself on the other streets.

I did a initial once through read of SSH and I am definitely going back to reread it and digest all the info. And believe it or not, I have tighted up since reading it :-) My VP$IP number is 20.5 but I do make bad calls (i.e. this hand) from time to time.

Before I came to 2+2 I had never heard of things like SSH or PT. I feel that I am on the right track to improving and am in the right environment. Thanks again. Will start rereading tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:07 AM

Fold Preflop: Playing a low pocket pair against an early position raiser with so many people left to act behind you is a reciple for disaster.

Fold Flop: You almost certainly don't have the best hand. You have at most three outs. You need better than 12:1 to chase that. At least you're closing the action.... If there were players left to act behind you, your call would be even worse.

Fold Turn: Okay, we picked up some outs. But UTG+1 is now forcing you to call two cold. You have at most six outs. UTG could reraise. I think you have to fold here.

River: Good.

Reread SSH.