Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Celeron vs. Pentium and other options

I'm looking into getting the dell inspiron 8600. So what is the difference between the celeron and pentium processors? The pentium costs about a $100 more, so is it worth it? Also I'm wondering how much memory and how big of a hard drive I should get.

To help with your suggestions, I am getting the computer so I can 4 table on a laptop. The only other things I will be using it for are surfing the web and writing papers, no games. I will be running poker tracker so I know that can take up some space as my database gets bigger, and my friend has a bunch of mp3's that I'd like to copy onto my computer (he has thousands of songs). So based on this what would your suggestions be? Thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Celeron vs. Pentium and other options

hey there, i just got an inspiron 8600 from dell and upgraded the display so i can 4 table on party/skins. the standard display causes a whole lot of overlap, and the middle upgrade pretty much as no overlapping on buttons, but you cant see the chat windows...if you know what i mean. as for processor, the celeron is kinda a crappy processor, but if you arent doing much with your computer its def worth the price discount. the major difference of the celeron processor is the amount of cache memory on the chip, which i think is only 512k. the pentium 4's have a 1MB cache (double the celeron), and the centrino's have a 2MB cache. centrino also has better power consumption and has more integrated wireless features. the clock speeds of the centrino are about half that of the celeron and p4, but the large cache, and good internal architecture make up for it, and the centinos perform about as well as the p4s for normal use kind of stuff. that said, the p4 does much better for processor intensive stuff, ie photoshop, video editing, games.

soooo, to answer your question, if you budget is tight, i think you can get by with a celeron doing what you want. but if you want more battery life, and mobilty, the centrino is best. i upgraded to the centrino and i love it. get atleast 512MB of ram, more if possible, and i think you should be fine.

-mike
Old 01-25-2005, 08:53 PM

I four table (with an additional monitor) with my 1.3g Centrino with 512mb Ram and love it. It has plenty of power.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:53 PM

Celerons rock dude!

Anyone who says otherwise is a playa hater.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:51 PM

Thanks for the help Mike!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:56 PM

Got another question for ya Mike. Should I get the 1 dimm or 2 dimms for the 512 MB of ram. Also, would you recommend the 64MB or 124MB video card. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:38 PM

do not get 2 dimms. 1 dimm will allow you to upgrade to 1 GB of RAM. and some people advise you to get the cheapest RAM option and upgrade with aftermarket ram because it's cheaper, but it will also void the warranty on your laptop. also, unless you plan on playing graphics intensive computer games, the 64MB video card is perfectly fine.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:29 AM

Thanks for the help JEM
Old 01-26-2005, 09:45 AM

celeron = total crap. Avoid at all costs. It may be fine to play at party but later you might want a decent computer and the extra $100 isn't much
Old 01-26-2005, 10:39 AM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

Pokercraze:

[ QUOTE ]
Celerons rock dude!

Anyone who says otherwise is a playa hater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rivered:

[ QUOTE ]
celeron = total crap. Avoid at all costs. It may be fine to play at party but later you might want a decent computer and the extra $100 isn't much

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so we have two differing points of view on Celeron vs. Pentium. Would you guys care to offer more substantial reasons for them than "Tastes great!" vs. "Less filling!"?

-Mike