Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Overcard hands--how long do you play?

I've been playing online for a week now and one of the big questions i have is how to play overcards whe the flop doesn't hit. Here's an example from last night on Party Poker. Table read: in general playing pretty loose and MP2 is an absolute maniac--playing 80%+ of hands to flop and another 75% of those to at least the turn. (Learning tonight how to use the bison converter so pardon my shorthand)

Hero is on the button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP1 limps, MP2 limps, 2 other limpers, Hero limps, SB folds, BB checks

Flop is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
MP1 bets, MP2 bets, limpers fold. What should hero do?

I've got 2 overcards with no flush and a very weak straight draw. Do I continue for 1 small bet or dump this?

Remember I'm a newbie(and pretty new to poker)so if it seems like I'm missing something big here, well, I probably am.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Overcard hands--how long do you play?

Blind leadin gthe blind here, but will take a shot at this.
I assume the "bets" by MP on the PF flop are calls that got converted wrong. If either of those is a raise, this hand hits the muck quickly.
I terms of suits, your overcards are all good for now since the board is rainbow. There are 3 kings and 3 jacks left in the deck, so I think they are worth 3-4 outs. Your weak s8 draw is a good one as far as backdoor s8's go so that is worth at least 1.5 outs. For a total I think you have roughly 5 outs. There are 8 SB in the pot when it is to you and you are closing the action so I think this is a clear call.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Overcard hands--how long do you play?

You have 3 outs for your overcards and a backdoor straight draw worth about one out. You are getting 8.5:1 immediately with one person left to act behind you (the BB, who I assume checked). The board is fairly drawless, and it is not unreasonable to expect that you could make up the extra 3.25 SB on later streets if you do hit, but it is close. I'm leaning towards a fold here.