Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Raising a gutshot and backdoor flush... 68s on the button.

Curious mostly about flop and turn action. I think going for overcalls on the river is standard.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 01-25-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Raising a gutshot and backdoor flush... 68s on the button.

I don't really like the flop raise with what is really a fairly weak draw and small pot.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:28 PM

your flop raise also cuts into your implied odds. the odds were there, but not by a wide margin, so i think putting 2 bets in (and reopening the betting) is not worth the chance for a free card.

i'd call the flop closing the action, figuring SB is quite likely to bet a turned 7.. allowing you to raise the field when you have the best of it.

PF seems too loose.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:28 PM

I'd call the flop here but would proabably raise Qs8s and defintely raise KsJs (I wold have raised the latter preflop as well).

I think hard about folding on the turn, and play the river the same had I called (which I would probably do).
Old 01-25-2005, 03:36 PM

I thought about folding the turn as well. Part of the problem with the flop raise is you now also end up making a marginal call on the turn when it otherwise would have been an easy fold.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:39 PM

I don't like the flop raise. You have a weak draw and also need to consider the possibility that the SB will 3-bet.

I fold this turn. You are drawing to the sucker end of the straight. Oops. Just realized you had a double gutshot. This call is OK, but barely.

River looks standard.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:44 PM

I was also thinking that I'd probably fold the turn until I noticed he had a double gutshot, but even so I think I'd probably fold.

The pot's not all that big, your backdoor draw is gone, you can't be all that excited about your Jack outs, and having the SB check-raise would suck hard.

Also, I'm not sure if you have enough of a hand to raise the flop. I suppose you could make a case for a free card, but I think that's stretching it. I'd just call and hope the SB leads out again if I catch.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:57 PM

I am new here but trying to improve by sharing my thoughts and seeing what others think of it.

With only two limpers I fold this preflop, but if I was in I call the flop with gutshot and backdoor flush (raise if also have overcards).

On the turn, I am wondering what UTG+1 is betting out with after calling a bet and a raise on the flop, my thinking is he must have had some piece of weak draw on the board.

If he is a reasonable player he probably isn't playing Q9 or J8 here. KJ and QT are possible but may have raised the flop with QT. KJ might have turned a straight and doesn't want to let it get checked thru on a free-card play.

I fold the turn because either way, i am drawing to a dummy end of a straight. Should I be making this call instead getting 7-1 I think? I'm a little unsure on these situations.

River call is standard for me also.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2005, 04:14 PM

The call preflop is marginal at best, and the flop is an easy fold IMHO.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The call preflop is marginal at best, and the flop is an easy fold IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think if both limpers play poorly the preflop call is fine.

Calling the flop getting 8:1 is a better option than folding.