Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Getting a New Car (Mazda)

The muffler just fell off my 96 Honda Civic Hatchback the other day, and I'm feeling like it's time to get a new ride. I was trying to hold out until this Spring since I travel every week for work and wouldn't get a chance to enjoy a new car, but after this latest of car troubles I'm ready.

I'm pretty stuck on getting either a new 2005 Mazda 3 Hatchback link (~$21,000 with moonroof and ALB, etc) or a used 2003 Mazda Protege 5 link (~$12,000-$13,000 used).

I'm going to test drive these vehicles this week, along with a 2002 Protege 5 and 2004 Mazda 3 Hatch if possible. The test drive will probably be the biggest factor in my decision. Maybe I'll post results.

I don't like to waste money. I'm a used car kind of guy. A couple things make me want to get the new Mazda 3 though. (1) I've gone through my budget and I have enough money to afford this car and still have enough for living expenses, save at the rate I am, and have a comfortable amount of spending cash. (2) The Mazda 3 is likely to be worth more after 3-4 years, making the price difference smaller.

Some things making me want to get the used car. (1) I may not notice the difference. (2) If I instead save $2000 extra per year for 4 years (assuming 10% anual return), that money would become ~$18,000 in 10 years and ~47,000 in 20 years.

So by passing up the Mazda 3 now, I could possible have enough to get myself a Beamer when I retire (at 52).

Any advice is welcome. New or used? Work to find a used 2004 Mazda 3 (I saw a few for 15-16k)? Anyone drive these cars? Any other cars I should look into in this price range?

Thanks,

- Jason
Old 01-24-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Getting a New Car (Mazda)

I've got a 2003.5 Mazda P5 with everything but leather I'd be willing to sell. I've had it for exactly 2 years and 4 days and it's only got 19k miles on it. It's a great car - the handling is awesome and it's a blast to drive on the twisties. Opinions differ on whether the 3 or the P5 is better - most people I've heard say they like the P5 better. I've sat in a 3 at a car show and I've gotta say I like my P5 better, but the 3 was good too. Come get it and I'll go get another WRX a little ahead of plan. I did a lot of research into the P5 before I bought it and was clearly convinced at the time that it was the best car in that price range. I don't think that'd be too far off 2 years later.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:32 PM

I bought a used 1999 Protege about 18 months ago, and it has been great to me. Price and reliability were the main factors in my decision. Check out Consumer Reports for reliability info for those models, it might help you choose.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:36 PM

I own 2 Saturns:

1998 SC2 - 139,000 miles
2001 SL2 - 98,000 miles

I have had zero problems with both of these cars. They are extremely reliable. You can find a good deal on them too.

For example
Old 01-24-2005, 04:37 PM

i bought a new car in october. after much research i was between the scion tc and the mazda 3. in the end it was the scion tc by a mile. after however many months i've had it, i still love the damn car. probably the best purchase of any kind i've ever made. do some research and you might just agree. at least test-drive one.

edit: i didn't want to get a used car so i didn't even look into that option.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The test drive will probably be the biggest factor in my decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not good. It tells me you're being somewhat impulsive. I suggest you select a few vehicles in your price range, develop a list of features that you must have, that you'd like to have, and that you don't really care about. Now go through your list and select two or three models that you want to pursue.

Next go to consumer reports and order their new car (or used car, as the case may be) price service. Spend the $12 to save a couple grand.

Now you're ready to talk to some dealerships. Before setting foot in a dealership, contact them and ask for their "Best Price" on a vehicle equipped the way you want. Have them e-mail it to you.

Compare their quoted best price to the CR research (and kbb if it's a used car). I use an excel file to compare vehicles AND dealerships. Your job is to get the car you want for the lowest price. It is business. It should not be emotional.

I've owned 4 Mazdas. Just traded my old 626 for a Ford pickup, but I still have a 2002 Millenia S.

Not sure of your stature, but the protege and the 3 are very small cars. I'm 6'1" and just simply don't fit in these cars.

That said, since your budget seems faily inflexible, I recommend the used protege 5 over the new 3. They're very reliable (my mom has one) and are basically the same car with a different skin. It'll get you where you need to go.

One thing I don't like about the protege 5 is the silly skinny tires they put on them. Low profile tires are a gimmick because they pop if you run over a grain of sand the wrong way.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I own 2 Saturns:

1998 SC2 - 139,000 miles
2001 SL2 - 98,000 miles

I have had zero problems with both of these cars. They are extremely reliable. You can find a good deal on them too.

For example

[/ QUOTE ]

saturn is an american-made car. 'nuff said.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:39 PM

... and you can't haggle with them. BS.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Next go to consumer reports and order their new car (or used car, as the case may be) price service. Spend the $12 to save a couple grand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should you pay anything? There are plenty of sites online that give out invoice prices and the like for free, as well as tell you what the dealer kickbacks are. Does the guide have more and better information? (I honestly have no idea)
Old 01-24-2005, 04:41 PM

I owned a Mazda once. Beautiful car. It put the shop guys kid through college, though. I'll never own another.